Sunday, August 15, 2021

proving belief

  I did make a Facebook posting about this but thought I would elaborate a bit more on this absurdity. I'm listening to the morning news and they are discussing the legality of vaccine mandates. Now I should point out I live in Maryland, a state with employment at will. What that means is the employer can require you comply with certain rules and regulations and if you don't, you don't have a job. I did sign that agreement with one employer although I wasn't required to do so with others. But whatever the case may be in Maryland the employer can legally require you receive the vaccine as a condition of employment. So, that being established the government official being interviewed was asked if there could be allowable exceptions. He stated that yes, the employer could do that as well. He went on to say religious belief may be one of those exceptions. And here is where it got absurd. He says if a person can provide proof of what vaccines they haven't gotten in previous years, ie: polio, chicken pox, seasonal flu, then an exception may be granted. So my reaction is; I have to prove my religious belief? I can prove that by proving I haven't received vaccines? 
 Setting aside vaccines and that whole issue let's examine this. Now yesterday I was a sinner, I had lost my way, but today, today I have been saved! Glory Hallelujah I believe! How do I prove that? Do I have to prove that? Now I don't know what religion opposes vaccinations, Amish maybe, Scientology, Druids, Pastfarians, or the divine right of the sun God but couldn't I just convert instantly? That's how it happens right? A beam of light shines down, or I have a dream, maybe I almost choke to death eating chicken, but my life flashed before my eyes and I am saved! Now, I believe! 
 None of that is intended to disparage anyone or their beliefs but that is what is guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States, the first amendment in fact! So, is it legal for anyone to demand proof of your religion? Seems unconstitutional to me. 
 During the draft years one could request exemption based on your religious belief, a conscientious  objector. One of two decisions could be reached by your local board. You could be excused from service altogether, or simply assigned to non-combatant service. All of that was based upon written and oral testimony. You had to "convince" the board members of your sincerity and have witnesses testify on your behalf. No, they didn't just take your word for it. According to this government official, at least in the state of Maryland, your employer has that right to decide. If you have been employed by this company prior to this mandate you can be fired. The reason for termination, religious belief. How can it be any other when prior to that I was fully qualified? What changed? It is only my religious belief that keeps me from complying. I can change my gender at any time, you can't fire me for that. I can insist you use a different pronoun when addressing me or I can sue you! See the absurdity of such a statement. How does one prove belief? Many have been martyred for their belief, proof positive? 
 Are we going to say you can practice your religion, as you see fit, until we decide it isn't fit? That is to say the government will mandate what you can or can not believe? When the government decides that your religious belief poses a health risk to others the first amendment no longer applies? Well now that's a sticky wicket ain't it? Is prevention a risk to others? That is, I should receive the vaccine to protect myself against covid and if I don't I'm putting you at risk? How is that? If you are vaccinated you can still spread the virus, science proves that. Seems like you are putting me, the unvaccinated, at risk. You should wear a mask and sanitize your hands. Do that to protect me. Although if I truly believe I'm not a bit concerned with this covid because I believe I will be alright. Hey, my religious belief doesn't include harming you in any way whatsoever. It only concerns what I believe should or should not be injected into my body. Just because you like to drink doesn't mean I should either. You want it, you like it, you believe it makes you feel better, go for it. I'll abstain. Same with any drugs. You know there are no "rules" with religion. Each one of us can believe what we want and how we want. We have Christians supporting abortion and no one is saying they aren't Christians because of that. It's a modification of belief, but belief as valid as mine. No, when it comes to religion you just have to take my word for it! That's the law, isn't it? What's the proof? 
Amendment One, U.S. Constitution: Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; etc. Seems perfectly clear to me.    

No comments:

Post a Comment