Saturday, August 14, 2021

enjoying freedom

  The town of Greensboro has sponsored an event called Riverfest for the past three months. We have a park located by the river complete with a Gazebo. Local food trucks, apparently all the current rage, stage a "war" among themselves. Admission is minimal, only five dollars for the early birds, that would be us senior citizens for the most part. Last evening was the final event this year. The wife and I have attended each one supporting the town and enjoying the entertainment. 
 So, we are going to the event and we discover that neither of us have our phone. Being the rebels that we are we also decide we don't care! That's right, we are leaving home without a phone. My wife's only comment was, you won't be able to take any pictures. In another act of defiance I say, I don't care. Yes, it was a real throwback to the old days. We did take our folding chairs, you know the type, in the little carry bags. I remember when we had those aluminum framed ones, the seat and back woven out off those wide plastic strips. Before that my Mom had wooden framed beach chairs with canvas seats and backs. Now that is a throwback! Today we practically bring the whole living room suite with us. We did meet up with our son and his wife, she said she had texted us. I just laughed and said, we don't have our phones. She smiled but didn't look surprised, she has come to know what rebels we are I guess. 
 I admit it did feel a little strange though, being out without a phone. Funny how quickly we become accustomed to things isn't it? My phone case was damaged and I didn't feel like carrying the thing around or sticking it in my pocket. It isn't difficult to crack the screen on those things. Don't want to finance another one. Isn't that crazy? Phones that you have to finance? No, I don't have one that costs over a grand but a few hundred is enough for me. It's all nuts, pay for the phone, pay for data, pay for messaging, pay for calls. And we call it progress. Well I can take pictures and videos with it. Yeah, it's progress. Another thing about all of this is that others expect you to have your phone with you at all times. I called, I sent you a text, where were you? I find myself saying the same thing when others don't answer their phone. Well, no answer! Another expectation dashed to the ground! In the old days I would have just thought they weren't home or where outside, something like that. Today, we think, they just aren't answering, I know they have their phone! 
 The wife and I each have our own phone. I expect that is the normal thing these days. Being retired I am with her 90% of the time. It's a rare thing for us to be apart. Neither of us belong to any groups or have any hobbies that would separate us for any length of time. Why do we have two phones? Well, you have to be able to call one another don't you? Imagine living in a world where you can't always do that? I don't have to imagine it, I remember it. When I was a kid the phone booth was my cell phone. If I called home someone may or may not answer. I usually only called because I was going to be late coming home. If no one answered the phone I went home! That's how that worked. No messages, just get home. We have thought about getting rid of one of the phones, do we really need two? I don't know, seems risky. We are all about security these days aren't we? It does appear to be a prevalent theme in todays world. Left the house without a phone today and without ID, you got a problem with that? 
 I don't know it just amused me I suppose, being without a phone or a camera. If anything had happened I couldn't have recorded it for my legal case! I was at an event and couldn't post a thing to Facebook or send out a tweet, not that I know how to do that, I don't. As a result you all got no picture of my food or any strange looking people I may have encountered. I apologize for not fulfilling my social contract. You do need to know those things. I did check when I got home, no missed calls, one message from my daughter in law, guess everything was alright. Made it through without a phone on my person. If only for a short time I was free! It's kinda scary though. LOL  Makes me nervous. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment