Wednesday, December 6, 2017

waiting for Santa

 Something unusual has happened this year. I have nearly all my Christmas shopping done. Yes, I can't believe it myself, almost done before the tree has even been put up. This is the earliest I have ever been done. Thinking about it, I just can't explain it, there was no plan, it just happened. I have to say it gives me a bit of a nervous feeling. Something just doesn't seem right about it. What's happening to me ? Am I becoming ; responsible. I'm taking care of things instead of procrastinating ! Yikes, I am becoming an adult. The day is rushing at us though, only eighteen days to go. That's not much time when you are sixty four, when you are four that would be a lifetime. I think it all has to do with anticipation. When you are young you do anticipate, looking forward with hope and excitement for what lies ahead. Once you get older, the excitement fades away just a bit, you can anticipate what is going to happen with a degree of certainty. Well, knowing isn't as exciting is it ?
 The wife and I often remark to each other as we are shopping, we don't have little kids anymore. That usually happens after we see something especially cute or a nostalgic toy. First our own boys grew up, now the grandkids have done the same. No one is anticipating the arrival of Santa Claus ! That lack of anticipation does take a little bit of wind out of our sails. Oh, we all know the real meaning of Christmas and will enjoy the fellowship of family on that very special day. Gifts will be exchanged. The difference is that no one believes that Santa left any of those gifts. A few tags will be signed in that way, a nod to the jolly old elf that we all enjoyed at one time in our lives. Still, the excitement level is no where close to when you have little ones around.
  Only 18 days to go before Christmas morning. It will arrive and be gone quickly. The reason for that ? No one is waiting for Santa. Yes, that's it in a nutshell. Anticipation breeds anxiety. When you are waiting for something to happen, anxiety can be the result. Will Santa bring me the things I asked for ? Can Santa really come down the chimney ? What about the weather ? When I was a child I wrote Santa a letter. I never got an answer and had to wait and see. I expect that has changed a bit these days, maybe you can tweet Santa. Whatever the case is, the waiting can cause anxiety. Call me what you will but I always enjoyed watching the kids squirm, wondering if they would get those gifts. Yes, they suffered from anxiety and I enjoyed it ! It was just part of the magic. Probably not politically correct to do that these days. Using the Santa is watching admonishment gave me a certain satisfaction as well. It only works for a few weeks before Christmas but it is a great club. Ha Ha, or is it  Ho, Ho, Ho ? That is what Santa was always laughing about. Anticipation, anxiety and yes, just a little bit of fear. They do make for a Merry Christmas. Christmas just isn't the same when you are not waiting for Santa. I guess I should say, Christmas just isn't as much fun as when you BELIEVE that Santa will come. I'm hoping one day to have great grandchildren and wait for Santa with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment