Saturday, December 16, 2017

An offering

 Today we place the wreaths for our Veterans. It is the official day designated by Wreaths across America. We will meet here in Greensboro at the flag pole in the towns " veterans park. " A brief ceremony will be held there as we place a wreath for each branch of the armed forces. Following that we will proceed to the cemetery where the individual wreaths will be placed. As is the tradition, when the wreath is laid that persons name is spoken out loud, followed by thank you for your service and a hand salute. I think it is a wonderful tradition and hope it continues well into the future.
 We had a little bit of snow last evening and it is quite cold out. None of that will deter me from participating. Those we are honoring today were never deterred from their duties. Those veterans defended the nation 24/7 through all types of weather. I will use this as a reminder of that. Having served in the Navy I was almost always on board a ship where the weather wasn't much of a factor. Yes, the waters got rough but we had heat, running water and three meals a day. A fairly plush existence. The same couldn't be said for the majority of the vets being recognized in Greensboro today. The Army vets far outnumber the other branches. We have vets from the Revolutionary war forward. 
 Today we like to talk about the meaning of everything. Wreaths have been used as symbols of eternal life throughout history. It is an obvious connection, a circle, unending. The use of evergreens is also symbolic and fairly obvious. Then we had the Christmas wreath and the connection to Christianity was made. Yes, it was a way for the church to include pagan rituals in the church to attract those pagans. I'm certain we have all heard and read about all of that. That has only been in recent times though. When I was a child all wreaths were Christmas wreaths if they were green and had a bow on them. I had heard that before my time the placing of a black wreath upon a door meant someone had passed away. That was when we laid out our dead in the parlor. I'm glad I didn't experience any of that. Now wreaths are associated almost exclusively with Christmas. Given the political climate we live in today I wonder how long that tradition will survive. Will these wreaths be allowed on public property much longer ? I haven't heard about anyone protesting that but I'm sure it will come about sooner or later. Well I'm not going to think about that today. Today I am honoring our veterans by the placing of a Christmas wreath. That is what I call them and always will. I have seen very few headstones that mention the persons' religious beliefs. I'm certain if I were to place a Christmas wreath on the grave of a Jew, or Muslim, or any other they will not be offended. I highly doubt if any family member would be either. I'm just saying Merry Christmas not trying to convert the deceased or the family.
 The official website of Wreaths across America call them remembrance wreaths. For the 25th year in a row a wreath will be placed on every grave at Arlington National cemetery. That is nearly 400,000 wreaths. Nearly 13,000 other cemeteries across America participate in Wreaths across America as well. It was noted that this year the goal at Arlington was only achieved at the last moment and that is a troubling sign. I hope to never see a year when the goal isn't met. Whether you choose to call them a Christmas wreath or a remembrance wreath makes no difference at all. Me, I'll remember Christmas and I'll remember their service to the nation. I will speak their name out loud and thank them all. After rendering a proper hand salute I will say Merry Christmas to them just as I do to the living.  
 Merry Christmas to them all regardless of religious affiliation or even a lack of that. Honors are offered as a gift. My gift is what I value. That is what gifts should be. I'm giving a piece of me and I'm saying Merry Christmas. The gift of Christ carries great value and importance to me. I won't just give you something because I don't want it and that is why I say that. Take it as a sign of respect that I would offer such. 

No comments:

Post a Comment