Friday, December 22, 2017

believe it

 I wrote a short piece yesterday about paying attention. Somehow the topic of discussion wound up being Gay people. So today I wanted to take some time to explain a few things. First off I wasn't gay bashing. Now no one accused me of that but I felt it was being implied. I don't hate gay people just disagree with their choice. And yes, who you choose to have sexual relations with is a choice. Am I friends with a gay person ? None that I know of,  but then again I'm not in the habit of asking. I rarely discuss such things with friends and acquaintances as it is really none of my business. I've always felt that information should be on a need to know basis. Guess what ? I don't need to know. That is part of the reason I talk about this " coming out " stuff. If you are hiding something it is because you know it is somehow not right, or at the very least not accepted as correct in the society in which you live. Holding parades and wearing rainbow buttons will not change societies perception of your choices. Same with people hiding their drug habits, they know they shouldn't be doing that, but they are. They are exposed when it gets out of control. Building rehabilitation centers and providing recovery services isn't going to change the behavior, only prevent further usage ; hopefully. The real solution is not to use those drugs in the first place. But that is just too much to expect right ?
 I try to be as honest with people as I can be. Yes, I will tell those little white lies to avoid hurting peoples feelings unnecessarily. Your cake is wonderful, your children are very talented and no that dress doesn't make you look heavier. What I won't do is bow to pressure to say or support things that I don't. If I knew a Gay person and was asked,  I would tell them they are wrong. That's correct, in my thinking they are wrong and have some sort of mental illness. In so saying that doesn't mean I hate them or condemn them in any way. I don't hate or condemn other illnesses why would I condemn that one ? That is something for them to deal with, not me. I'd suggest abstinence. A bad choice isn't made better by choosing it ! It also isn't better if I get others to agree with it. So, like I say, I'll leave that up to the person with the problem. I expect they do feel the same way as I do, in certain regards. I do not require you to believe what I believe to be cordial to you. I do believe that my Bible says homosexuality is a sin. Yes I do. Whether you believe that is not nearly as important to me. What I'm saying is,  I don't require your belief to validate mine. That also means I won't tell you it is alright, I'll still tell you it is wrong.
 The reason for that is quite simple really, belief isn't a choice. We do not pick and choose what to believe. If you are doing that, you are insincere. Belief is something that you know in your heart to be right. How much you stand by your belief measures your character. Many people deceive themselves with their so called belief. What they are doing is justifying their choices. When making a choice contrary to what we know to be correct, we do search for an excuse. All the other kids were doing it ! And so you believed it was alight ? Was it belief that made you choose that action ? Hardly, and now you need an excuse. Have their always been Gay people ? Of course there has been but that in itself doesn't make it right. There have always been murderers too, starting with Cain, doesn't justify it though. Oh, I know Gay people aren't hurting anyone else, and you are right about that. That is the reason I just leave them alone, they are still wrong in my belief ! It is not my job to correct everything I see as wrong in the world ! I do feel an obligation to speak my truth, even when that obligation exists only to myself. In my experience every time someone tried to convince me that a wrong was right, it was still wrong. You see, I feel no need to convince you of anything at all because I believe I am right. That's how it works. So, what I'm saying is,  Gay people just quit trying to convince me that you are right. You are not ! And that is the end of the discussion. No further action needs to be taken by either of us. I do believe what we do, we do by choice.   

No comments:

Post a Comment