Thursday, December 28, 2017

new to old

 With the end of the year fast approaching there will be talk of resolutions. I never make resolutions concerning the new year. I can barely remain resolute for more than a few hours about something I am not compassionate about. That is what resolutions are supposed to be aren't they, changing something. Well, if I haven't changed what I feel to be wrong by now, I'm not going to do it because I said so on New Years eve. But I do use this time to take inventory. That process begins with listening to the Christmas tree. This year, the inventory started out with what was lost in 2017. That was the sadness I felt. Having acknowledged those losses it is time to move forward, all one can really do after all. You can't change the past by reliving it, the outcome will always be the same.
 The experts will tell you to set goals. My goal is to stay living for another year, that'll be enough. Anything beyond that is pure gravy ! Of course you do have to define living. I am not talking about existing, for that really isn't under my control , I mean interacting with the world and the people around me. It is how I react to that will define my year, to a degree. Yes, there are many things far beyond my control in this world. If you find yourself focused on trying to change others, you will find yourself unhappy. That doesn't mean I shouldn't try to offer my opinion on things, or that I should agree to gain popularity. The adoration of the crowd quickly fades when you are alone with your thoughts. That's the problem with that.  Lying to oneself is something I can not understand, yet some seem to be able to do just that. It is the only explanation I can offer for their actions or reactions.
 This year my son and his family from upstate New York will be here. I can't recall the last New Years we spent together. I doubt that we will all stay up to see the ball drop. That is another thing I haven't done in a while. My wife and I were never ones to go out to a party, preferring to stay at home, safe from the rowdies. We got rowdy enough in our own living room and didn't have to drive anywhere. Now, we just get tired and go to bed. My son never was one to enjoy a drink and I rarely take a drink myself these days. All that nonsense is in the past, relegated to memory. Must not have been too bad as I do remember it ! No, we will have pizza, snacks and soft drinks ! Well not too many soft drinks, too much sugar, and not too many snacks, gotta watch the salt in that stuff and that pizza is great, but can give you heartburn. On second thought, maybe we will just have a few leftover Christmas cookies and milk, okay we are a little crazy, hot chocolate. Whatever we decide it will be nice to bring the new year in with him and his family. It'll be a change in routine that much is certain.
 2017 wasn't the best of years in my estimation. Not that it was a  bad year, just not as well received as others. Seems like a lot of negative things happened to me, to others, and to the country in general. Who you choose to blame that on, is your business. In fact, it is the blaming that has caused much of the negativity we are all feeling in the country today. But I'll leave that alone for now. It is my hope we have all learned something this past year, growing pains can be painful, and we all move on. Placing blame requires no effort. Let's focus our energies on finding harmony instead, requires effort though. With each changing year the direction is the same, forward.  Sometimes that requires a return to the past. Not every new idea is a good one. Sometimes, old ideas are the best.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment