Sunday, December 24, 2017

Listening

 It's Christmas eve and all that's left is the minor details. This year I have the majority of the wrapping done and am ready. I purchased a real tree this year after having taken a hiatus from that tradition for several years. I have to admit I enjoy the real tree more and I believe it is a tradition revived. Well, that is until the tree huggers or some other group decides we aren't allowed to do that anymore. They can be a fire hazard no doubt about that. I do need to repair or replace my Angel tree topper. I substituted a star this year. The star is symbolic and quite attractive but the Angel, well the Angel confirms the promise of the season. Angels we have heard on high. That is what I thought that song was about when I was little, the Angel staring down from the top of the Christmas tree. The Angel was telling me that Jesus was born ! The one my parents had was Plastic with a c-7 light bulb inside. Her wings were clear and so the light sorta illuminated them, especially when the room lights were off. It was an inspiring sight.
 Our tradition was for all of us to decorate the tree. It usually went up a week or so before the big day. The same red and green metal stand was used every year. When I was old enough I got to crawl under the tree and tighten the wing bolts. Dad would be shouting instructions, tighten the one on your left, no, your other left !  That went on for a while until it was adjusted just right. Water and  a few aspirins were put in the stand. The tree skirt was wrapped around it. It was always said,  leave it open in the back so we can add water later, but we never did. Once that was done twine was attached to stabilize that tree. Let the decorating begin !
 Each ornament was individually wrapped in tissue paper. Unwrapping then was like opening a present, it was something to be admired and a surprise every time. Oh, the bell shaped ones, or this was Grandmas' ornament, the same stories told each year. Of course the lights had to go on first and I tried to avoid that part, it was always an argument. They're too close together, they're too far in the branches, they're too far on the end of the branches and on and on. You can't put that bubble light there ! It just seemed like a hassle to me. But when it was time to hang those ornaments I was there ! After the ornaments were hung the tinsel went on. We were told to put it on one strand at a time. Carefully drape it from the end of the branches. Do not allow that tinsel to get into the lights, especially the socket part, you wanna burn the house down ? If that tinsel gets in there , that's what is gonna happen ! Heard that every year. We must have done good as the house never burnt down. I do recall one year when we didn't put that twine on the tree and yes, it fell over ! Put twine on it after that, lesson learned.
 As far as Christmas eve went we didn't have any special traditions. It was a day filled with last minute things and Mom telling us kids Santa was still watching ! It's not too late you know, he can just fly right past this house, I'll turn out the lights. So, we were extra good on Christmas eve, got that far and didn't want to take any chances at the last minute. About eight o'clock I was sent to bed. Get upstairs and go to bed and do not come down until the morning, or else ! There was no reason for you to come downstairs, none at all. And so I didn't until I woke up in the morning. It was then that I would go to the top of the stairs and look down at that tree and all the presents. I still wouldn't go down because you don't want to make Dad mad at this point, not this close. Mom and Dad were always awake anyway and would eventually say, come on down. I knew they were awake, they knew I was at the top of those stairs, and they still made we wait !
 The first thing that had to examined was the stocking. They had to be opened first. And yes, everything in that stocking was wrapped. It didn't matter if it was a pencil or a Pez dispenser, it was wrapped. That would take you ten minutes or so. An Orange was in the toe and mixed nuts. Once everyone had opened their stockings the main event began. One present handed out at a time. There was no  " ripping into " things. You will conduct yourself in a reasonable fashion please, you're not animals ! Still, as I recall, the paper was flying and excitement prevailed.
 Years later when I had children of my own these traditions were carried on by myself. Well, truth is some of them were. Everything changes over time. It all depends upon how the " parents "  choose to celebrate. When the boys were little I was most often away for Christmas as I was in the Navy then. Yes, that does modify traditions. You can't really have a tradition if you don't do it the same way every year. That is what traditions are made of after all. The truth is your traditions are what you remember. That's the way I remember Christmas eve and Christmas morning. Now I do have a tradition I carry on just for myself. It comes from something my mom told me about years ago. Mom told me to " listen to the Christmas tree. " She says she did that every Christmas eve after us kids were in bed. Dad was going  to bed and she was finished cleaning up. Just before she went in she would sit in the dark with nothing but the Christmas tree lit, and " listen. " She never told me what she heard but the first time I tried it, I understood. I heard exactly what she heard, I'm certain of it. That Christmas tree does speak to me, and I believe it speaks to each of us if we but listen. That is what Mom taught me about Christmas. So, tonight before I go to bed I will sit alone, light that tree and listen for a few minutes. I'm never certain what I will hear, but I'll be listening. This year there is no Angel on high, just a star. Will the star speak ?     

No comments:

Post a Comment