Saturday, December 23, 2017

for goodness sake

 When I was a little guy Santa Claus was magic. I knew that just as sure as I knew the sun would rise in the morning. I don't remember anyone ever telling me that exactly, but I knew it had to be. C'mon he flies around the world with eight reindeer hauling presents for every child. Not only that but he comes down the chimney. Shoot, you have any idea how much of a mess that would make ? I had helped clean out the fireplace before, trust me it's a big mess. Yes I understood all of that and it seemed far more plausible he just twinkled his nose and there he was, in the living room. That's were Elizabeth Montgomery in Bewitched got the idea from ! Funny how the mind of a child works isn't it ? I believed it because I wanted to believe it and it is what I was told. I saw the real Santa Claus make his appearance at the Macy's parade in New York City. There was a movie made about that and I watched it every year with Mom.
 All the other Santa's were just " helpers. " I knew that meant imposters though. Mr. Ed at the church was one of them. I heard that Mr. Brill was one too, rode on the firetruck and at least once in an airplane for the towns' Christmas parade. Mr. Brill was Jewish but I figured Santa came to their house as well. Somebody told me he did it eight nights in a row for the Jewish kids. They had to light a candle for him. That way they got a present every day. Well, the rumor was the Jewish folks were quite frugal so they wanted to make it last. Plus I was told it didn't usually happen on Christmas Eve so that freed up Santa for the rest of us. I still don't know what the Muslims do for Christmas, if anything. We didn't have any Muslims were I grew up. It was a good time to be a child. I was reminded that he can see you when you're sleeping and knows when you're awake. Why didn't I think that Mom and Dad knew that as well ? This was before we had all of this spy stuff we have today. Yeah, a baby monitor, more like a spy camera. I'm not so certain the phones these kids have today aren't the same thing. I've heard your movements can be tracked that way. I'm glad I didn't have one back then ! There would have been some explaining to do. Might get coal for Christmas too. Grandma had a coal bin at her house so that didn't seem far fetched at all.
 I grew up and had to face the truth. It was met with disappointment that much is certain. I don't remember how that all came about but I found out. I slowly watched as Santa became commercialized. Yes there is money to be made from this fairy tale and I saw it exploited to the max. All those imposters standing on the street corners asking for money. Santa started showing up everywhere. Get your picture taken with him, get a letter from him, or even have breakfast with him, all for a few bucks. It genuinely hurt my heart to see it. But then I had kids of my own and they believed in Santa. It restored the magic and all was well. Following my kids were the grandkids, and I had Santa back for a while. Not surprisingly I wrote a blog about it.  It was poignant moment when I watched my granddaughter say " goodbye " to Santa a few years back. She gave Santa a hug and wished him Merry Christmas, turned and walked away smiling. It is an image still fresh in my mind.
 The magic of Santa is contained in the hearts of children. My memories of Christmases past keep the magic alive. Santa Claus, candy and presents. Santa Claus can grant your every wish if you just obey. It's a familiar message, or at least it should be. He does see you when you're sleeping and knows when you are awake. He also knows if you been good or bad ! I believe that not because I have too, but rather because it is truth. That's the difference between a child and an adult. It's all about risk and reward. My advice is, be good, for goodness sake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment