Thursday, December 7, 2017

Laura Rose

 A little while back I had posted an old photograph to a group I belong to. I have since discovered that picture was taken about 1891. That would be 126 years ago. On the back in great grandmother Lucys' own hand are written the names and the place. You don't have to be a handwriting expert to tell that it was written with an old quill pen. The ink has dried to a dull brown color. One of the ladies pictured is Agnes Victoria Terry, formerly Agnes V King. She is mother to my Great Grandma Lucy.The others are friends of the family with one exception. On the far right stands a young lady identified as Laura Rose Terry. Laura Rose looks to be with child. I have known of her for some time while working on the family tree. Laura Rose is an older sister to my great grandmother Lucy. Laura Rose remained as a bit of a mystery. I had looked for her in the genealogical records with little result. I did find her on a census. Her exact age is still in question but I believe she was born in 1876. The census record says she was born in Bridgehampton New York. Her age is recorded as three and birth year about 1877. It is not recorded what month or day she was born and so that is left to speculation for now. Only fragments remain of the census taken in 1890 as a fire at the commerce department destroyed the rest. Laura Rose is lost to history in the official record. She passed away in 1891 at the age of 16 years, five months. That information came from a newspaper, The Corrector. The paper makes no mention of a child. Of course in 1891 such things were not discussed. I have never found any record of a marriage taking place. In fact, I have been unsuccessful in finding out anything further concerning Laura Rose. Family secrets left unspoken and unrecorded. There is no one left to testify to whatever events may have taken place. Were I to provide sufficient documentation of relationship to Laura Rose , New York state would provide a copy of her death certificate. Perhaps that certificate would provide some answers. It is something I have considered pursuing.
 I do wonder if I am judging Laura Rose fairly. Is she with child ? It sure looks that way but I don't know that for a fact. Her sister, my great grandmother Lucy would have been thirteen years old at that time. I'm certain she would have been well aware of all of that. Did Laura Rose die as a result of the pregnancy or perhaps in childbirth ? It wasn't an uncommon thing to have happen back then.  Great Grandmother Lucy would lose her own daughter, my grandmother Clara as a result of such. That was in 1924 following the birth of my father. Yes, Clara gave birth and passed as a result of complications. And so what of Laura Rose ? I wonder who the father was ? No shotgun wedding ? There are so many unanswered questions. I have yet to locate a grave for her. I suspect she may be interred at Green River cemetery in the Springs, or perhaps in a place called Lilly Hill. Lilly Hill would have been a short distance from the home of her mother and father.
 You may wonder why any of this matters at all. I say, it matters to me. As I attempt to chronicle the story of my family these little detail are important. It is in that statement that the importance lies. Are any of us a " little detail ? " I hope my existence proves to be more than that. Laura Rose isn't just a detail. She was a young lady with hopes and dreams like all of us. Was she in love and that love unrequited ?  Did Laura Rose have a purpose ? Yes, she did and that purpose was fulfilled. Perhaps one day I will know that purpose, perhaps one day I will understand. Until then, I'll keep on questioning.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment