Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Hope and expectation

 I am the youngest of four. That fact may explain why I don't remember certain things from my childhood. What I was thinking about this morning is I don't remember getting gifts for my brothers and sister at Christmas. I also don't remember if they gave me anything. Like I said maybe it's because I'm the youngest. Not that any of that matters, it is just a memory, or rather, a lack of  memory. I'm certain if I did give anything to them it would have been homemade. I certainly had no money to spend. We didn't get an allowance and money was not just handed out, you had to earn it. Whatever the case was, Christmas was all about hope, not expectations. I knew from an early age to not expect the " gift " but to be grateful for whatever you were given. And no, it wasn't a disappointment or a hardship ! That is the way life was lived back in the sixties. I hoped for many things, I'm certain of that, although I can honestly say I don't remember what. As I reminisce about that time I can also honestly say I was never disappointed. The excitement of the day always outweighed any " expectations " I may have had. I forgot about whatever it was I had to have, in favor of what I did ! Santa Claus never let me down. I can honestly say, even past Santa, I have never been disappointed.  And that is a real blessing.
 Christmas isn't about the gifts. That is what we are all taught and the truth of it undeniable. It is also undeniable that little children are more excited about Santa Claus than the birth of Christ. I do remember at the church I attended having a birthday party for Jesus and it was a highlight of the year. We had a tree in the community hall, Santa Claus arrived and every child there got a gift from him. Yes, Santa Claus handed out the gifts with your name written on it. Afterwards we all got a small box of hard candy and an orange to take home. I remember those birthday parties quite fondly and wonder if the church still does that. Oh, yes there was birthday cake too. Can't have a birthday party without cake. What a wonderful tradition and a teaching time as well.
 My oldest brother left us three years ago and so I can't ask him what he remembers. Sadly I can't remember the last Christmas we spent together. Truth is I can't recall the last time all of us kids spent Christmas morning together. I'm guessing it would have been 1963 or 64 maybe. Harold, the eldest joined the Navy when he was seventeen. That would have been in 1964. I was just eleven at the time. Brother Dan was married two years later and so no longer at home. My sister lived at home until about 1969. We were scattered to the wind as the saying goes and so never got together. Even today my sister is in Florida, my brother in Georgia and I'm in Maryland. Sure, in the movies everyone gets together and has that hallmark holiday. Reality is quite a bit different. Still I remember that Christmas is all about hope, not expectations. That is why we celebrated the birth of Jesus, his gift is hope. He gives hope to all mankind if they but believe and obey. Strange isn't it ? Santa Claus tells children to behave themselves ( obey ) all year and they will be rewarded with gifts. Jesus tells us to behave ( obey ) and we will be given eternal life. In both scenarios all we can do is our best and hope for a good result. 

No comments:

Post a Comment