Friday, October 16, 2015

Money and politics

 I occasionally make comments on some od the political posts. I do so mostly when I feel like a bit of controversy. It isn't much fun to just like things all the time. A little drama is good as long as no feelings are hurt. It is a bit like playing with fire though and can quickly get out of hand. I try to temper my remarks. I did just that yesterday afternoon and enjoyed a brief discussion. To some, I am that pain in the butt that shows up every now and again. I am too similar to some others and thus the friction. Only once. so far, has the friction increased to the point where I had to put the fire out, permanently. I do feel a bit of remorse for that but also realize it is something I should avoid,or someone. I am equally culpable in that situation.
 Now yesterday a person was stating that he felt we ( the voters ) had no say unless it was a tie. I understood exactly what he was saying. Many people complain about their candidate not doing what they want after they elected them. Reading that the obvious was brought to mind. Sure the majority of us do our research and listen to the candidates, ( hopefully anyway ) then form our opinion and cast our vote. We do so believing that candidate will vote our way. We have made that person our representative. The problem that follows, the one everyone complains about, is when that representative does not vote the way you want. You feel betrayed. But, did you tell your representative your opinion ? That is the big problem. Why should you believe that because I voted for you, you should then be able to read my mind ? You (we) need to tell our representative what our feelings are on the individual issues that interest us. It does no good to call and complain after the fact. It is our responsibility to remain informed and involved in the political process beyond just voting. That's why you vote. You know the old saying, you can't complain if you don't vote. Think about that statement. What is it saying ? Is it not saying what I just said ?
 Another big complaint in politics is about the money. Bernie Sanders says he will take the money out of politics. A noble statement and wonderful dream but totally unrealistic. Why is money tied to politics ? The answer is as easy as looking in the mirror. Those wishing for " things " to go their way are involved in the political process a great deal closer than casting a vote. Those folks maintain an active interest in the business of governing. It is these folks that " influence " and let their representative know what they want. They also let that representative know his or her job depends upon pleasing the electorate. If you don't care, implied by your silence, the representative will just make his own decision. Is that what you elected him to do ? The answer is yes, if you vote and then remain silent.
 I am not one to attend the town meetings and such. The case could be made that I am all talk. I wouldn't argue that point given my record of attendance. I am aware of the need to do so if I wish my opinions known. It is just that I am aware of what is going on and choose to remain silent. There have been no major issues that I take sides with. I am happy with the local government and the way they are conducting the business of the town. My son has been a commissioner for a number of years and so I hear the " scoop. " Now he is running for Mayor and so I am confident in the continued running of the town in a fiscally responsible fashion. And isn't that what everyone complains about ? Money in politics. Yes, and that is what politics is, money. Wants and needs are only satisfied with sufficient funding. It is nothing mysterious. And that is why there is money in politics. You can't get anything done without money !
  

No comments:

Post a Comment