Saturday, October 31, 2015

From Hobo to Homeless

 I was writing the other day about Halloween. I was reminded of being a " hobo. " Well, after thinking about that for a while it dawned on me, Hobo's are a thing of the past. Now we have the homeless. What is the difference you say ? Well a hobo was more than willing to work. He, or less frequently she, didn't want a handout but would prefer to work just enough to meet their needs. We think of Hobos riding the rails. Yes, the real hobo was an itinerant worker. This " choice " if that is what it was grew mostly out of the great depression. Men moving from place to place seeking work. In some ways the " cowboy " as portrayed in the movies and the mountain men fell into this category. All three became somewhat romantic figures over time. I can't see that happening with the " homeless " of today. Are today's homeless cut from a different cloth ? No, I don't think they are it is just that they are current. I do think there are far more homeless than there were hobos but I don't base that on any solid data, just a guess. Of course the population is much larger now and housing and such far more costly. Today we tend to think of the homeless as mentally unstable or using drugs. We do empathize a great deal more with their plight. I do believe we label it as a plight but many homeless do not think of it that way at all. To them it is a choice. To some it is an expression of freedom. Only way to know is to ask I suppose. I have never known a hobo or a homeless person. This thought only came to me because of the Halloween costume thing. Red Skelton famously portrayed a " hobo " character and was beloved. Freddie the Freeloader was his name. He lived in a shack at the garbage dump. I'm thinking today there would be a big stink made and people would be offended. Oh the poor homeless man. Well Freddie the Freeloader did alright for himself. I'm thinking we ought to return to those days and just quit taking ourselves so seriously.
 A lot of this empathy we feel today is a result of being told we should empathize. In the not too distant past we would have been advised to " mind our own business. " In some ways that isn't bad advice. Good intentions are just that, intentions. Your intentions may not be the same as the person you intend to help however ! In all this political correctness of today how is it we can decide what is best for anyone ? What I'm saying is maybe some want to be homeless or what was once called a hobo. All that has changed is the terminology. Another big difference is the " homeless " of today are constantly being told they are victims. That wasn't the case years ago where they were offered help ( work ) and then pretty much left to their own devices.
 I'm not trying to say every homeless person wants to be homeless. I'm also not saying every homeless person is addicted to drugs and alcohol. There are many that have been thrust into the situation due to no fault of their own. I was just thinking about when did it go from Hobo to Homeless ? I think it was when the ability to travel freely around the country, whether that was by riding the rails or hitching a ride, quit being a viable option. Once the hobos established permanent camps they became homeless. Ironic in a way. They were itinerant and labeled " Hobos." They become stationary and become " Homeless. " I went trick or treating as a Hobo and it was adorable. If I went as a homeless person today the reception would be quite a bit different. Insensitive and politically incorrect ! What has changed ?

No comments:

Post a Comment