Sunday, October 4, 2015

Fragments

 I woke up this morning feeling like I am adrift. I have been drifting for years it seems, just a ship upon the sea. I have made many ports but never made it home. It was always just over the horizon.  Now I understand home must be next to Atlantis, only a memory, a place of legend and lore, a place I will go no more, a place upon the distant shore. I can smell the salt in the air and feel the sand beneath my feet. The gulls screech and a biting wind, it is winter now, in my dreams. A crust of ice along the shoreline covers the harvest, long clams they call them, my frozen fingers pull them from the mud. I sail alone in these thoughts, it is ever the same for those that wander. Navigating a circle,  we must keep going to reach the beginning. That is the way of life.
 I woke up feeling pensive. Is it the chill in the air, or the rain ? Maybe it is something else. The day lies before me and I can't know where I will go. My charts only show where I have been. Oh, there is hope, hope for tomorrow but no guarantees. It is those memories of hope that haunt my dreams and memory. It is not a sad thing, pensive is not sad. Pensive is " deep thoughts " or serious thinking. It is easy to become mired in those thoughts but I see them as a chart. Studying your past will guide you to the future. The markers of the past still lead the way. That is why home is so important. Important in memory, but not in place. Does that make sense ?
 New discoveries await and that is why I sail. It is the reason I have always sailed. I always wanted to see more, to walk upon the foreign lands. I have tried to find my way, the way I was intended to go. Why I was destined to wander I can not say, perhaps I will know the answer one day. We are all born in one world and die in another. I was born in Bonac and will die in a foreign land. That causes a sadness to fall and rightfully so, but it is the same for us all. I sailed away while others stayed. Those that stayed have seen the place leave, that is the only difference between us. Memories remain, that is all. Fragments in time. Each of us are only a fragment in the mosaic that is humanity. Each of us must find our place.
 When I awoke I felt adrift. Having written the words that I have, my thoughts have changed. I feel I have sailed through the storm and entered calmer waters. I am not drifting at all, just adjusting my course. There is something new and interesting just over the horizon, I can feel it. Life is a voyage. Ironically, home is in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment