Sunday, September 20, 2015

Souls whisper

 I hope one day to go where my ancestors lie. I think perhaps that is death. The idea of heaven would be to go back to the beginning and see the face of God. Then, once in his presence you could see all that came before. To walk and talk with your ancestors and know their thoughts and dreams. For each generation hopes better for the next, ancestor to descendant in an unbroken line. That is the desire that permeates our existence, the advancement of man. We wish to advance, to go back, back to the time of leisure, when all our needs were provided for. back to Eden.
 Eden, a paradise on earth, unspoiled until man arrived. It was man that disobeyed the Lords' one simple rule and paradise was lost. God knew that when he placed Adam in the garden. The question of why has puzzled man ever since. To know the answer we would have to go back in time, back to Eden and ask it of God. Would God give us an answer ? Yes, I believe he would. The word of God is truth, and in truth lies the answer. We need only listen. That was the first mistake was it not ? Not listening ?
 Oh, some would say it was disobedience, but I say not listening. " But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die." Was God talking of life as we know it ? That is to say a beating heart and breath. No, I don't think he was. Our "death" is but the beginning of life, does not the Bible also teach us that ? And of what life are we speaking ? We are speaking of the soul. The soul and conscience co-exist in the obedient man. It is when we allow our soul to be at odds with our conscience that turmoil begins. Our souls are the spiritual portion of our makeup and therefore immortal. Conscience is an innate ability to tell right from wrong. Our conscience however can be swayed by society and indeed, by our own desires. Nourish the soul and strengthen the conscience. The nourishment of the soul hinges upon listening. If one listens closely enough, you can hear. The soul but whispers and the conscience screams. Listen to the whispers in your heart and the soul will be nourished. Conscience is a brash fellow always interjecting himself into the discussion. Unfortunately the conscience can be convinced to act contrary to his own advice. Later on we may search our soul for the reason but it will not be found. If we search our soul what will we find ? We find that which is immortal, a spirit and a purpose. We need to listen, not ask. The answers reside in that spirit.
 My ancestors, those that came before and to which I owe my very existence know all of this. That is why I feel they don't need to interject themselves into our world, ghosts in you will. After all, they have all of eternity to wait, what's the hurry ? I do try to visit those that are more recently passed. The ones where I can find their markers. I have not forgotten those that passed without the benefit of those markers. I have old photographs to remind me of those I have known and photographs that introduced me to those that I haven't. Those pictures on the wall speak to me in whispers. I try to listen. I will go to be with them one day that is as certain as one can get. I think it will be quite the lively discussion when we do meet. I've got some explaining to do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment