Monday, September 14, 2015

Campaigning

 Let the campaigning begin. I'm not talking about national politics here, I'm talking local. My son is running for mayor of Greensboro. I've known that he has aspired to that position for some time. He has been a member of the town council for about five years now. He figures it is time, time to seek the highest office in Greensboro. I wish him success and I give him my vote, maybe. It depends upon his platform of course. He'll have to convince me of his credentials. They'll be no favoritism shown here !
 The exciting part is that he has an opponent. Initially the current mayor had indicated he would not seek reelection. My son filed his papers to run for that office. For a short period of time it appeared as though he would run unopposed as no one else filed. But now the current mayor has filed and the campaign begins. My son, Kevin, is excited for the challenge. He is very anxious to debate the issues Well, like most kids that is what he does best, debate. He has been doing that his whole life, debating with me ! It has been a valuable lesson for him however and I think he will fare well.
 Growing up we moved a lot due to my military career. Virginia, North Carolina, Louisiana and Connecticut. The last stop was here in Maryland and it is where he has made his home. Kevin never did much like moving around. I think he must have some farmer in his blood as he loves the land. Or maybe he just grew to dislike the sea as I was always gone out upon that. Whatever the case,he adopted Greensboro as his home and I don't believe you could blast him out of here. He has a genuine affection for this town His political aspirations extend only to becoming Mayor of Greensboro. He has no desire to enter county politics. No, his desire is to " revive " Greensboro. Like small towns all across America Greensboro has its' challenges. There are few mom &pop stores left. Hardware and appliances are being taken over by the big boys. Even small restaurants struggle to stay open. No movie theater, bowling alley or other venues for entertainment. And so, Greensboro the town struggles to meet the needs of its' citizens with little revenue and scarce resources.
 Kevin does believe binging the community together is the first step in the process. Together we can do this, is an unofficial motto of his, almost a campaign slogan. He has reached out to the various groups in town and has had some success. It has to begin somewhere, with someone, and it begins with Kevin. I have confidence in him and that he will make the correct choices for our town. He does have vision. I don't always agree with his " visions " but at least he has them. He is willing to do the work, no doubt about that.
 It is with a sense of pride that I endorse his candidacy. I will be on the campaign trail with him. Maybe I'll be a guest speaker, LOL His campaign couldn't afford my speaking fees ! I am excited for him. Who knew politics could be fun ?

No comments:

Post a Comment