Monday, September 28, 2015

In the cloud

 I spent the majority of yesterday working with my computers. That's right, two of them and I really don't understand how to work with even one. Still, undeterred I connected the two with a network cable and proceeded. Following directions as I received them from the mysterious internet I began to transfer files. They were going to the cloud ! I soon discovered one thing about this cloud, you can't see a thing in there ! Where are those pictures anyway ? At one point I got a notification that the cloud wasn't big enough so I purchased additional space. The result ? More stuff is lost in the cloud, which is now much larger. It has been a learning experience for sure. I've learned to stay out of the cloud ! All of this is very frustrating and is making me anxious. I don't want to lose those files, pictures or documents. I'm afraid they will be permanently lost in the cloud. Are they even now being held hostage ? I had to pay for additional space, was it prison space ? How much it is going to cost me to retrieve my pictures ?
 These computers are funny things. Each has a different operating system. Both are windows based but can't always communicate with one another. At least, one doesn't always understand the other. One is from the north and the other the south I guess. It is a matter of semantics. Folders and files. Different items entirely but easily confused. Happened to me on several occasions. Now I have a bunch of empty folders and am not sure where the files are. Very unnerving. I 'm hoping they are there somewhere. Then there is the matter of formats. OMG, I don't know what that is all about and how the computer decide what format to use. Seems to be a big issue, especially with videos. And I have 166 of them, according to the computer.
 I haven't given up yet and will continue in this quest. Just what I am trying to accomplish has become a little blurry. All I wanted to do was start using my new computer. I don't see why it should be such a problem. Computers are smart, right ? Only as smart as the operator and therein lies the problem. Can an old dog learn new tricks ? Absolutely, just takes a little longer for the lessons to sink in. I mean, a man's brain can only hold just so much information. I'll have to delete some files to make room. Of course it won't be long before I'll be working in the cloud myself, if I am lucky. Maybe I'll find those pictures then.

No comments:

Post a Comment