Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Not an easy job

 Is it alright to be content ? It is as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. That is the message I get anyway. If you have a sufficient amount of money, housing, good health and do not impose your beliefs upon anyone else, you can be content. You are not supposed to be content with anything less than that. You must satisfy society's requirements first. Hardly seems fair now does it ? Still, I believe that is how it is for most of us. Those that do not comply with that are often labeled as lazy, incompetent, never do wells or drains on society. Now, if you comply with society's rules and reach that state of contentment you do run the risk of being labeled " eccentric. " Eccentric is a polite way of saying, a little touched. In either case, you are not supposed to just be content with what you have. It is expected of you to strive for more. You should be driven ! Well, I think it is time for me to take the wheel. Now I'm going where I want to go, not where society tells me I have to. Sounds liberating doesn't it ? 
 Isn't that what retirement is supposed to be ? Sounds like retirement to me. Just get up in the morning and do whatever strikes your fancy at the time. Do nothing at all if that is what you want. The only " work " you do is what you want to work on. Whether it is working on yourself or some other project doesn't matter a bit. No worries, no schedules and no commitments. Problem is, it doesn't work that way at all. There are other people in the world. It is not all about me. What a disappointment to find that out ! I admit I've suspected that all along but entertained a delusion. Nothing wrong with dreaming is there ? Can a true state of contentment only be reached alone ? Not if you love others it can't. So there it is, it isn't alright to be content, because being content would mean not caring about others. That just isn't right. But can we be satisfied ? Satisfaction only depends upon our own goals. If we reach those goals we are satisfied. It then becomes a matter of setting those goals. The goals must be realistic, yet challenging. What challenge lies in retirement ? How long can I live ? That isn't much of a challenge, all I have to do is wait. Another problem with that challenge is, I may never live long enough to know the answer.
 I find myself wondering what to do. I could retire and then what ? I could stay working, to what end ? I have to ask whether I am satisfied or not. Don't like that answer though so I'll avoid the question. Am I content ? Yes, but I'm not supposed to be. I haven't achieved all the things society expects of me. So I must face a new challenge, a new goal. It appears that the challenge will be learning to live with myself. Now that is a challenge, you can just ask my wife. It is not an easy job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment