Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Having kids

 I have had that empty nest thing going on for a number of years. More years than I want to think about in fact but that has changed this week. My son and his wife went on vacation to Mexico. The grandchildren have been left in our care. Now the kids aren't kids anymore and you would think it would be easy, you would be wrong ! The busy lives of teenagers are exhausting just to think about. Each one has a schedule posted to my refrigerator door. So many commitments to fulfill. The wife and I survived day one but the future isn't looking too great. Let's see, there is soccer, dance, church groups, and the orthodontist. And that is just tomorrow ! Yeah, and then they want to eat. Well they always want to eat. When they are not eating , they are bickering with each other. Brother and sister ? Sound more like an old married couple most of the time. Oh, and did I mention taking care of the pets ? Two dogs and a cat. Need to cut the grass over to there house too.
 I gotta say, I love the kids to death but my nest feels just a little crowded. They are in my space whenever they are here. Everybody has there " spot " and my grandson takes my " spot " and claims it as his " spot. " Then they want to change the channel on the television. Not that I watch much television in the first place but it sounds different. The background in my life just sounds funny ! Yes, and then they leave empty glasses and plates just laying around. I guess they think those things have legs and will just walk into the sink. No dishwasher here, except Grandma. And now Grandpa is gettin' called in for the big loads. This is very upsetting. There is a disturbance in the force.
 This is the third year in a row that the kids, the big ones, have gone on vacation and left their kids with us. You would think I'd be used to it. Truth is I wouldn't have it any other way. Well, maybe they could do their own laundry, make their beds, be respectful of each other and a bit more courteous. Perhaps they could be helpful and attentive to the needs of others. I wouldn't mind if they just ate the meals that were presented to them without complaint. They could just listen ! But then they wouldn't be kids would they ? I don't know how these kids get this way. I wasn't like that when I was a kid. At least that isn't the way I remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment