Tuesday, September 22, 2015

A birthday

 Today I have a teenage granddaughter. Only one grandchild left that is not in that category. I must be getting old. Morgan Elisabeth , yes that is Elisabeth with an S., Reichart. Grandpas little dancer. I remember the years of taking her to dance class. I would take her and sit and wait. She would go off into the studio and the door would close. All I could do was hear the music and the laughter of the children. It was forbidden to watch, except on special occasions. In the early years I would not leave the building, sitting there ,ever vigilant and ready if anything happens. I don't know what I thought might happen, but I was ready. Now, I just drop her off at the door with, I'll be back at eight, that is, if she doesn't just say, I'll text you  How she has grown.
 It is hard to remember thirteen years ago today I was at the hospital anxious for my first glimpse. Harder still to remember her brother, almost two years her senior and his reaction. They have both been an integral part of my life ever since. They don't live with me, in my house like the Walton's, but they come as close as you get. There isn't much we have missed. All the Christmases, Easter's and special occasions. Vacations and shared moments. I can see her Mother in her and just a bit of Grandma. She is a young lady that see's no boundaries, yet knows her limits. Possessing a kind and caring heart I can see her going far in this world. I believe our personalities are forged in the teenage years. These are fiery times we live in and will impact her and her brother. Many changes will take place in the next decade. I know that because it has always been so, and I see no reason to doubt the future will be any different. Those teenage years are the ones we all remember the most. Everything before that is our " childhood. " We remember our childhood with fondness and sentiment. Not so the teenage years, they are the turbulent times. This is the time that my Morgan is entering and I had best fasten my seatbelt ! Her experiences will absolutely affect me. Anyone involved in her life will be.
 What do you give a teenage girl for her birthday ? You give her what you have always given, your love. The gift itself isn't important at all. Gifts are merely distractions from life. They are enjoyed for a short time and eventually discarded or placed on a shelf. They are the social convention, a display of affection. The truth is, Morgan has been my gift all these years. Our children and grandchildren are the repository of our lives. I place my love and memories in her heart and mind. I can rest easy knowing they are safe there. Oh, it is going to be a rocky road through these teenage years and I am prepared. There will be surprises and disappointments of that I am sure. I am equally as sure that Morgan will emerge as a butterfly from a cocoon, beautiful and free to fly.
 Happy Birthday Morgan ! As grandpa always says, " may all your birthday wishes come true. " May all the wishes in your life come true. One day a child, the next a young lady. Grandpa will always be there should you need a hand or some advice.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment