Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Meeting a King

 I have received, as a gift, two VIP passes to meet and greet Richard Petty. King Richard as he is called will be in Ridgely, Maryland for the annual car show. This event has grown in size over the past few years and has become quite the attraction. Mr. Petty is the main draw of course. He arrives in a classic Pymouth Superbird and does the autograph thing outside the pharmacy. Last year the " general Lee " was also there along with Boss Hog. I wonder if the general will appear this year sans flag ? There is music and vendors galore. It will be a gala affair and one that the granddaughters' dance company performs at as well.
 Now I am not a big racing fan. I do take a mild interest in the sport but not much beyond that. I have even been to a race or two at the Monster Mile in Dover, Delaware. I got free tickets for those events as well. I hear the names of the drivers and recognize a few. I do like fast cars and engines but find the whole Nascar thing just a bit boring. Left turns do get boring ! I know, everyone goes to see who crashes. Now, I'm going to meet the King of this sport, albeit briefly and wonder what to say. I can get his autograph, although truth be told I don't really care about that, but I believe it is expected. I wouldn't want to offend the man. I did google his accomplishments and they are impressive. In my less than a minute encounter with this legend I wonder what to say. I'm certain he has heard just about everything. Having watched others at this event I think it is also expected that you buy a piece of the memorabilia that Petty enterprises is selling. The proceeds do go to the Petty Foundation. It is a wonderful thing that he does come all the way to little old Ridgely for this event.
 I have never been one to be awed by celebrity. I have always felt they were just people like me, only luckier or more talented. There are some celebrities I would enjoy an evening with and others I could care less. Richard Petty is a cool guy, a gearhead. It will be nice to shake his hand and just say hello. It is something I can always say I did. To him I am just a nameless face in the crowd, a crowd of millions in his life. I'm certain he must tire of this routine. Living on celebrity must be an exhausting thing. I guess it is a good thing though, better than social security and anonymity. He is no rock star but still it must be difficult to go anywhere without planning. I suppose all this would depend upon your own ego. Is this necessary to him ? Is he a man that could just fade into the distance and be content with that ? The answer must be no, otherwise why would he continue ? It is good to stay active.
 Well, I'll ask my son if he wants to go with me as the wife doesn't want to meet Richard Petty. My son does enjoy Nascar so maybe it will be a thrill for him. I guess I'll just say, nice to meet you, shake his hand and move on. I'll have to get his autograph but have no idea what I will have him sign. Maybe I'll just write a paper stating that I met him on this day and date in Ridgely, Maryland and have him sign it as proof. That might be fun to save and pass to future generations. He is a notable figure in history, thankfully for him, living history ! Since the death of Elvis I guess he is the closest thing to a King that I will ever meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment