Thursday, September 3, 2015

A greeting

 I went to the store yesterday and greeting me on the sidewalk where, MUMS ! Yes, mums have made their first appearance of the year. Frankly, I am shocked. Isn't it a bit early for mums ? I mean it was ninety one degrees outside. Those mums didn't have any blooms on them yet but they were beginning. Now mums are the official greeters of fall, at least in my mind they are. Corn stalks and various gourds, along with a few hay bales can't be far behind. It is a realization alright, the summer is over and let's move on.
 I am not now, nor have I ever been one to stress out over the holidays. I don't feel the pressure much before a few days before the event is to take place. Maybe it is old age creeping up, or some sense of responsibility, but this year I'm starting to think about Christmas already Could it be that I'm growing up ? No, that can't be it, it must be those mums. Why are there mums on the sidewalk the first day of September ? Okay, it was the second day but you get the idea. Mums.Well, I certainly will not be buying any mums at this time of the year. No mums till after labor day. Oh, wait a minute , it's no wearing white after labor day. No mums till the day after fall begins ! That's another twenty days and falls ( no pun intended ) on a Wednesday. That will be the rule in this house and I make the rules ! There is the possibility of an executive veto and I know I can't get the votes to override. That executive also controls the kitchen, so. Still I will make that proclamation this very morning. Let's all hope there is no unrest in the kingdom.
 The harvest season is fast approaching that is true. Combines will be combining and tractors a 'tractoring. Living in this rural farming area I have become aware of the seasons.Oh, they are the same season I grew up with but mean something a little different. When you work the water for a living, like a lot of family and friends did. the seasons just change the harvest a bit. The winter months are challenging, but harvesting continues. Now, this farming stuff is a little different. In the dead of winter, with the ground frozen and covered in snow you don't get much of a harvest. Then , come spring time you plant and start the cycle. The harvest season is also the season of giving thanks. Thankful that we made it through another growing season. The harvest is the reward for hard work and when we receive the blessings of the Lord. It is only right to celebrate that ! The Hardy Mum is an excellent choice to add color to that festival. They do hold their color late into the fall.
 I've got about three weeks to adjust my attitude. I need to shift into another gear, a slower gear.There are those that say if I move any slower I'll be standing still but, they aren't aware of everything I do. Life is eighty percent mental you know. Like at work, I get paid for what I know, not what I do. LOL. I just don't let the boss know that. He also doesn't know I retired about a year ago. It is time to start packing away the summer. My porch theme will change. Of course old glory will still fly proudly from the railing. The plant boxes will need to be cleaned out and the trappings of summer replaced with fall. Yup, the harvest theme will be in evidence. Now to start thinking about that turkey ! Where's the ax ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment