Thursday, September 24, 2015

Finding focus

 I was working at the store yesterday when an old customer says to me, I thought you were retired. I just chuckled and said, I am. This person gives me a quizzical look and says , really ? Yup, I was tired yesterday and I'm tired again today so I guess that makes me re-tired ! The customer agrees and we have a laugh together. I have been considering this retiring thing, now I've put that on hold after the first of the year, we'll see. To retire is to quit. Isn't that one of the meanings of that word ? Quitting doesn't sound right though, retiring is better. Retiring means you have fulfilled your obligation in whatever endeavor you are engaged. That is not the same thing as dying though, dying is ceasing to live, therefore you are de-ceased ! I do think the two are related however. One precedes the other : hopefully anyway.
 I don't believe I will have any issues retiring. I have plenty to occupy myself with. My only concern will be that others may think I don't have anything better to do. Know what I mean ? Being retired doesn't mean nothing to do and no plans. On the contrary, I have all kinds of things planned. Things I have put on the back burner for years. I will have to guard against getting lazy. I find I can do that easy enough. Fortunately I have a wife that keeps me motivated. LOL It is all a matter of attitude. Offering encouragement and motivation may appear to some as nagging but it isn't so. Depends upon your outlook. We are a team and somebody has to be the coach. She coaches, I execute the plan. It has worked out pretty good so far ! Go team.
 I do find it a bit more difficult to remain focused and excited for the job at hand. When I was near the end of my navy career it was the same way. I was counting the days, anxious to move on. That was twenty two years ago and I think I would do it again, given the chance. I'm positive it would be a lot easier the second time around. I'd be a superstar, no doubt. I've done several things since then and had to move on from each one for various reasons. Good times, for the most part. I do find it a bit ironic that I am now working in a grocery store, a job I started in back in '70 or so. Looks like that how I will end my " paid " professional career. That is unless I begin a new career in retirement. Can you do that and be retired ? Seems counterintuitive doesn't it ? Maybe that is the secret to retirement. But just who is giving me a paycheck ? Social security ? That makes me a government employee doesn't it ? I get all the holidays, sick days, personal days, paternal leave and benefits. I even get to work as hard as the members of Congress and the house. Only difference is I can't vote myself a raise. I do get vacation days though. Now that I think about it I should have gotten a government job in the first place and I could have been retired all these years ! But then what would I do now ? Get a job ?
 You know it's too bad life isn't like a sitcom. Those folks always complain about not having any money while they go out to eat. Have you ever noticed that ? They may be retired, living on a fixed income, but manage to go on vacations, drive new cars and have plenty to eat. They are never broke, either. If life were like that I could just sit home and write books or something. Before you know it I would be on television talking about my bestseller. So far I haven't seen too many situations that I consider funny. Opinions vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment