Friday, May 29, 2015

Under control

 Well it got hot and humid here in Greensboro. It was bound to happen, what with the world turning and all, plus global warming. Anyway, I am not complaining I haven't forgotten the long cold winter. I'll take the heat anytime. It is just that I do believe all things in moderation. The forecasters say we will get a cool down in a few days and temps will be below the norm.
 Now I had to break down and get the air conditioner out of the attic. Yes, I still use window units and they do the job nicely. They also do a nice job on the utility bill ! That thought was going through my mind as I switched it on. I began to think about when I was a kid. We didn't have any air conditioning ! Fact is, I didn't know anyone that air conditioning in their home. I had heard some wealthy people that lived uptown did but never actually saw that. Fans were the order of the day. Dad had a couple cars that had air conditioning in them though. I remember a used Cadillac, about a 58 I think that had that luxury ! I do remember buses and trucks having a small fan mounted on the dash and that was pretty convenient ! The summers back then were hot and humid too, we just didn't know to blame it on cans of hairspray and stuff like that. Shoot, we just figured it was summer and the sun had some role to play in all of that. Well, whatever the case was or is it is hot and humid.
 Growing up I recall trying to sleep when it was like this. I would throw off all the blankets and just lie there. It was very uncomfortable and just sticky. The fan did help but usually not enough to make it comfortable. There were times when we slept on the porch to get some coolness. Those hot ,humid nights filled with the sounds of the night creatures sure could be long. Seemed like you would never get to sleep, although you felt so tired. Thing is, we survived. We made do with a fan, or on a good night a gentle breeze. Thunderstorms were a welcome relief also. Nothing like a cool rain and a stiff breeze to cool things down. Thinking back on it now it almost makes me want to experience that again. Ah, nostalgia. But, no wait a minute, I do want that air conditioning ! All things in moderation my friends, let's not get carried away.
 Yes I have grown spoiled over the years. I can't imagine having to do without air conditioning completely. I will complain about the cost and hesitate, but I will give in. The flesh is weak my friends and air conditioning a tempting mistress. I have grown soft and subject to the frailty of age. Climate control is what man has always sought and we still do. We have mastered the climate indoors and now have begun to worry about the global climate. I expect we will try to control that as well. We humans are control freaks ! If we are not careful we will control ourselves right out of existence.
 It is funny how we tend to look back upon those times as , the good old days. The memory of them is somehow comforting, even though we were uncomfortable at the time. Gee, remember when you had to get up, walk all the way across the room, just to answer the phone ? And you didn't even know who was calling ! Yes they were the good old days alright. Well, we got that under control too.

No comments:

Post a Comment