Wednesday, May 27, 2015

An unusual delivery

 Yesterday I did something I hadn't done in quite some time, I wrote a letter. Yup, I sat down and wrote an actual letter with pen and paper. I can't remember the last time I had done that. I have written cards and a brief note or two but a letter ? Well, it felt rather satisfying to do so I must admit. The reason for doing so was a simple one. The person I was writing to does not have a computer or cell phone. No e-mailing or text messaging for him. He does have a landline phone but due to a time difference it is hard to connect. I just received a card of condolence from him regarding my brother and felt compelled to respond. An old and dear friend well deserving of a polite and considered response.
 I do not have any stationary so I went to the pharmacy. The Greensboro pharmacy is much like the drugstores of old in that it has many other necessities there beside filling your prescriptions . In fact, it is one of my favorite places to shop. To my surprise they didn't have stationary either. Legal pads and such but no stationary. So I settled for a legal pad and a box of plain white envelopes. I'm certain my friend will not mind one bit. I was reminded of writing those letters home when I was in the service, I used a legal pad most of the time then too. Stationary was a bit fancy and seemed like you would have to be a bit of a dandy, or a girl, to use that. Strange how I felt like I wanted to use stationary now and had none of those feelings. In fact I felt just the opposite, like I wa being crass by using a pad ! How uncivilized of me.
 I sat down to write and memories of English class came back. Put the date in the upper right hand corner. What salutation shall I use ? Indent the paragraphs. I used my trusty old Bic pen. The Bic Stic. It is what I used in high school and still what I prefer today. Smooth writing and good for shooting spitballs too. I decided to write in cursive, in keeping with this feeling of nostalgia. I'm fairly certain it will be decipherable. If nothing else it will present a challenge to my friend. I'm certain he hasn't received any hand written letters in a while. They are, after all, becoming a thing of the past.
 My letter wasn't very long and said little. I did find it quite a natural thing to do though, not at all uncomfortable. It was like riding a bicycle, you never forget. How many letters I wrote over the years I was in the Navy I can't say, but they were numerous. Back in my day we didn't have e-mail or cell phones to stay in touch with. Most often I had to find a phone booth if I wanted to call home. Phone calls were the rare thing, letters the expected. I remember the expectation of getting a letter. I also remember the sorrow when one was not in the mail.
 In closing I would say this is an ironic situation. I'm writing a blog about writing a letter. Writing about writing. Back in the day we would say, I'll write you and you knew what that meant. You might say, I'll call, but then you had to be more specific  That was so I could be sure you would be home, where the phone was. Now we say I'll text you or shoot you an e-mail. We are not concerned with details. Whenever. Also just a bit impersonal I would say. It took me twenty minutes or so to write that letter and that twenty minutes was spent thinking about my friend. I then walked over to post office to mail it out. I'm thinking he will be surprised to get a letter. Not a card or a note, an actual handwritten, in cursive, honest to goodness letter. Felt good to me, hope he enjoys it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment