Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Through the peep holes

Funny how most of us think of museums as dusty,musty old places. I mean museums in general of course, not art galleries or the Smithsonian Institute. A great number of us would never think of going to the museum unless to take the children for " educational " purposes. That is what we always say anyway. More times than not it is because it is raining, or the weather is cold and we are just looking for cheap entertainment. It also affords us the opportunity to appear intelligent and wordly. We like to do that in front of the kids. But just what is a museum ? Webster's dictionary ( online ) defines it as ; " a building, place, or institution devoted to the acquisition, conservation, study, exhibition and educational interpretation of objects " When you put it that way, it sounds like home. Aren't our homes the museum's of our lives ? I feel they should be.
 You know how some  homes just feel so inviting ? I believe that is because you are being included in their lives. If you know this person well, the objects surrounding you are familiar to you. If you are just getting to know this person, those same objects invite. They are like the person, interesting. It is true a great deal of the objects " acquired " have little meaning to anyone else but they are conserved nonetheless. That is the little curiosities we see in a museum. Other objects will be of interest in a historical perspective. Old graduation pictures, events from years ago, and even the fixtures in your home add to the conversation. There will be a few " standouts " the main attractions if you will. Those are our most treasured " acquisitions " still, I believe it is the little " hidden " objects that contribute the most. It is those objects that are the " peep " holes to the person. It is those things that the person cherishes outside of the spotlight that really tells you about them. It is the interpretation of the object that reveals its character, or theirs. Give the curator the chance to explain the meaning and you will gain insight into that person. It is also what makes a home inviting, curiosity. Isn't that why you go to the museum ?
 This idea of my home being a museum came to me as I was writing yesterday's post. I at first thought I didn't want my home to look like a museum. It doesn't. It does have a lot of " objects " in it. I am certainly the conservator of those objects. I often study and interpret them. I admit I don't think of them in exactly that way, but you get the idea. Those objects change in meaning and value over the years. They are not looked upon in the same light. Most have a story to tell. Might be a short story, but a story. Some objects lose their value or meaning and are discarded. That is also a part of life. Not everything belongs in a museum. And for me, the best museums allow us to touch and hold the objects. To really study them. Museums are for history, yes. But let us not forget that yesterday is history as well.
 It is for these reasons that I have changed my thinking. My home ( building,place or institution ) and my home seems like an institution at times, a mental one, is the place where I conserve,study,exhibit and occasionally give a educational interpretation of the objects I value. That pretty much defines a museum according to Webster ! So yes, I believe our homes should be the " museum's of our lives ". It is only in the conservation of these objects that we will be conserved as well. Maybe not the entire collection but a few precious objects. So when you come to visit me I welcome you to my life. Some of the things you will see may be old and worn but then again, so am I. That doesn't mean they don't have plenty of life left in them. There are stories to tell. The " museum " may be a little disorganized and even dusty, but my " museum " is always open. Nothing fancy here, just me. Look closely on the shelves and walls there are peep holes everywhere. I can tell you what I see through them, but I want to know what you see as well. Maybe I'm missing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment