Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A world without George

 He was here for ninety four years. What can be said of him ? He was a loyal son, a veteran and a good man. Brother to my wife's mother, he was just Uncle George. A quiet unassuming man that asked for very little in life, but gave life his all. I only knew him in his later years, when failing eyesight and a crippled leg had somewhat reduced his mobility, but not his spirit. On occasion we would go and visit with Uncle George in his row home in Baltimore. It was a home he had purchased prior to world war two and spent the rest of his life in.
 There are people that come into your life through the back door. Uncle George was like that. He lived alone when I first met him, his mother and father having passed on. He had no brothers and sisters to share in that sorrow. He was the last of the line from that blood. There were many nephews and nieces and brothers and sisters to his mom, but still, for the most part, he was alone. Do not feel sorrow for him I believe it is what he wanted. Never once did I hear him complain or sound bitter about his lot in life. He was a man that was just grateful to be here and had a gentle spirit. He knew his place in the world and was comfortable with that.
 When the news came of his passing on the 24th of May 2015, I was struck with one thought. Now I must live in a world without George. It is a sadder world now, more somber. Somehow in a field of flowers just the one is gone, and I notice it. I feel the loss of it and mourn. I take comfort in knowing he is not alone anymore for I am sure he has joined his family once again. His eyesight has been restored and vigor is in those legs. Saturday we will lay him to eternal rest and the world keeps turning round. His presence will remain however, that quiet peaceful soul. Uncle George showed us all how to live in dignity and accept whatever fate awaits. He was true to the very end, true to his spirit and true to his ideals. Much can be learned from his example.
 Sadly, or perhaps fittingly, I can't seem to recall our last visit with him. I wonder what words were spoken. what was the last thing said ? That was the way of Uncle George he spoke his truths quietly. I am left forever with a vision of that man. A man that had tales to tell if you would but listen. A man that enjoyed life and the people in it. A man that took delight in the company of others but lived alone. An enigma. I am left with but one question, what of a world without George ? I am much the better for having known this man and am grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment