Saturday, May 16, 2015

Personal service

 About four and one half years ago I wrote a small blog about the Dugan man. To my amazement it remains my most viewed posting. Somehow people are still finding that post out there in cyberspace I can only assume those in space want donuts and cake too ! And I have to add they were the best, ever ! There will never be another to replace them. They went away back in '66 and will never be seen again. I will add that Entenmann's comes close, but even their quality has diminished somewhat. I've been led to believe they don't  make a walnut cake anymore. What's up with that ? Ah, but that Dugan Brothers bakery was the very finest. I had a plastic truck, the Dugan Bros use DIVCO trucks. I remember it well and wonder whatever became of it. I'm certain Grandmother Bennett bought it for me.
 I am fascinated that so many would remember and look up the Dugan man. As I said they went out of business in 1966. That would mean that the majority of those that worked there have to be gettin' on,as the saying goes, or gone. I'm near 62 and remember the Dugan man back in the late fifties or early sixties. It must be nostalgia that is the driving force behind this. I understand the Dugan brothers covered quite a large area in their heyday. The number of deliveries per day was quite large, literally thousands. I have always thought of them as " local " boys and I'm sure most their customers did too.Well, the driver probably was, and we interacted with those drivers at least once a week. They became like part of the extended family, like the milkman or the postman. Yes, but that was back in the day of personal service and personal relationships. It was a wonderful time to grow up. I remember the man delivering coal to grandma's house. We always stopped to chat and have a laugh or two. He would back up to the coal bin, that was on the back of the house, and just dump some in from his truck. A couple of ton, give or take a hundred pounds. No one really paid very close attention. You might say business was a bit more relaxed that it would be today.
 It was indeed a smaller world back then. A more personal world I would say. We did our business with a more one to one approach. Relationships were formed  Although I can not recall that man's' name, I knew the Dugan man. We must remember he was an adult and I just a child. I would have addressed him as Sir or Mister, that was the first names for adults back then. Unless it was a lady, then yes Ma'am was appropriate. We gave those " delivery " men, doubt any ladies ever delivered Dugan products, Christmas cards and offered them a cold drink of water. We asked about their families and genuinely cared about them. Should they not show up as expected, we became concerned. Not angry that they didn't come, concerned, and that was the difference from then till now. And maybe that is why so many remember the Dugan man and all those others. We miss our friends. Those friends that used to " visit. "
 I think it began when we built the first supermarket. That happened first in the big cities and spread. After world war two it really took off. When we developed the means to transport large volumes of groceries, especially fresh fruits and vegetables along with fresh milk and frozen products, it really spread out. That began the demise of home delivered goods. It was less expensive, volume usually is, but quality suffered. No matter, cost and convenience rule. Door to door salesman are a very rare thing today. Unwelcomed, for the most part, and a dangerous business these days. I certainly wouldn't want to do that. I chuckle when I see ads for PEAPOD. Home delivery of groceries, an old idea recycled and repackaged. Funny how life really is a circle in a number of ways. I wonder if the PEAPOD delivery man is always the same guy. Might be, but I'm doubting that. I wonder too if anyone knows his name. Will supermarkets ever go the way of the Mom and Pop stores ? A memory and your groceries just get delivered from a warehouse ? Would be cheaper, maybe delivered by drones ! I miss the Dugan man.

No comments:

Post a Comment