Saturday, May 23, 2015

A new friend.

 I have a new friend. I haven't known him very long and don't see him often. His name is Oliver and he is almost two. Sure we have a bit of an age difference, about sixty years, but he doesn't seem to mind. I find him a joy to be around. I'm thinking he like me too. He was here yesterday for a few hours and we played trucks and bought a balloon. We had a fine time, Oliver even got in a nap, one of my favorite things to do. As we went to buy a balloon a couple people asked me who he was. My answer was a simple one, he is a friend of mine. Some seemed surprised and I wonder why that should be so ? Can't we all be friends ? Oliver is friendly with everyone, the innocence of childhood, and I find that refreshing. He doesn't say much yet, just a few words, but you can often see the excitement in his eyes, especially when a big truck goes by. Now there is a guy just enjoying life. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all do the same ?
 I have grandchildren and love them all very much. I enjoyed them all as they were babies and growing up. The love for your grandchildren is an inherent trait. They are, after all your legacy. They are a piece of you and carry your heart with them. Oliver now is just a friend, that is all. We are in no way related except that we are both humans. I chose Oliver as a friend. You could say he didn't have much of a choice and be correct about that. I do believe he is warming to the friendship though. Hey, we shared M&M 's  and cheese curls. I admit to having my granddaughter Morgan change his diapers, friends only go so far ya know, and it is good practice for her. I had her do that for her own good because that's what Grandpa's do. Call it instruction. It's a win-win. Oliver gets clean diapers and Morgan get practice. See how that works out ?
 In my sixty plus years I have met a lot of people. I am not one to make friends easily. I should say, I am not one to call you a friend readily. I love to talk to people and share stories. I was in the Navy for twenty years so you can imagine how many guys I have met and worked with. There are not many I would call friends. Shipmates and acquaintances certainly, but not friends. Certain people I seem to make some sort of contact with and they become friends. It is a rather rare occurrence for me, probably something to do with me, and not them. But with Oliver I feel that connection. It must be some sort of cosmic connection. Is he a soul I have encountered before ? Could be, if you want to believe in the mystic. I wouldn't say I am a believer, but I wouldn't rule it out either. I do not believe it would be in opposition to my Christian beliefs.
 I am looking forward to seeing my little friend again. When the time presents itself I will be ready. You cannot force these things and create an unnatural situation. Oliver is my friend and shall remain forever so. Oh, he will grow and move on, no doubt about that. I welcome that growth as well. If I can be of help on the highway I do so gladly. For now, for today, he is just a friend of mine. It was good to see him, glad he stopped by.


No comments:

Post a Comment