Friday, April 17, 2015

That's the way ( uh huh ) I like it

 My wifes' sister is coming for a short stay over the weekend. It will cause a slight disruption in my routine. That's alright though it will be offset by her presence. I do love having family around. I find it best when you have family or friends visit and you don't feel the need to entertain them. Joan is like that. We are glad to see each other and enjoy our time together. She is family. That means she can come and go as she pleases, and so can I. I, of course, include her in most decisions about what I will or will not do, but you get the idea. I do not feel bound by her.
 I have nothing against entertaining my guests. Having guests can be an enriching experience. The thing is, Ben Franklin said it best when he said, company is like fish,after three days it begins to stink. What he was saying was that he stilled liked the fish, it just became harder to keep it around. Some people are not company, people like your family and close friends. Joan is both to me. Related by marriage, friends in life ! We share a commonality, we both love my wife. It doesn't always work that way in families, but we are blessed in that fashion.
 I have no plans to " do " anything with Joan. I believe the girls are going to do each others' hair, a sister thing I suppose. I will share some pictures and videos with her while she is here. We will talk and eat a meal or two together. She may decide to sit on the porch while I play on my computer and that will be fine. Neither of us will feel slighted in any way by those actions. The easiest way to put it is, we are comfortable around each other. No one feeling a particular need to alter their mood or attitude around the other. We are familiar with each others' "buttons" and so avoid pushing them, well, most of the time anyway. What fun is family and friends if you can't rile them up once in a while ! Yank their chain, as it where.
 It has been a long cold winter. Joan hasn't been down our way in several months. That will be changing in the near future however. Her son Fred is building a home near us in Denton Maryland. It will include a mother in laws suite. Joan will then be a mere seven miles away and I'm betting we will get to see a lot more of her. That is a good thing for us and her. We are all " getting on " as the saying goes and should fill our " golden " years with as many riches as possible. Joan is sheer gold ! At least her heart is anyway, but don't tell her I said so.
 And so my weekend will be different. A break from the same old,same old. The weather promises to be nice. I'm looking forward to the visit. In reality though it isn't a visit in the true sense of the word it is more like a reunion. Old friends getting together. No pressure to perform, to entertain. That's the way I like it.
 

 .

No comments:

Post a Comment