Saturday, April 18, 2015

Ordered

 I'm thinking that I was born many centuries too late. I should have been an ancient Greek philosopher. I mean, what a cool job, just sit around and think about stuff. Not only that, but centuries later people are still talking  about you. Everybody knows Socrates and Plato .But I'm thinking at this point in history everything has already pretty much been thought of. The best we can do is find a new way of saying it. I just haven't found anyone willing to pay me for that. Socrates had a school so I assume his pupils paid him to attend. What was cool about that was, he just made up the curriculum as he went along.
 I guess the closest thing we have to that today is the Dr. Phil show. A man with a bunch of letters after his name. He has advice for everybody, but the real help he farms out. I mean he is always sending people to Horizons or some such place. He doesn't solve their problems, just tells them where to go. Shoot I could do that. In other words, he just talks about it. Sure he writes books but it is his son that publishes them. I guess somebody buys them. Thing is I don't think he has any original ideas. He is just parroting whatever he was taught in college. At least Socrates and Plato had to think the stuff up for themselves.
 Now I really enjoy just thinking about things and attempting an explanation. Maybe it is because people can't prove me wrong when it comes to philosophy.  We each have our own and we are entitled to that. I like to discuss and compare. My thoughts are based on my life experiences and so will vary from yours. Occasionally I like to think I point something out, usually the obvious hiding in plain sight. I formulate an idea and find a way to express it. Socrates and the boys discussed the idea of ideas. They wondered if everything was just an idea and how an idea became a reality. Heady stuff to contemplate. They of course tried to figure out the why of things. They argued and discussed the same things we do today. Morals,ethics,the existence of God and our role in the universe. There are no answers though, only questions.
 Here is a question for you. Are we born with intelligence ? Or are we taught ? Why do some seem to have the inherent ability to learn vast amounts of knowledge and others, well, not so much ? Thomas Aquinas, friar, saint and philosopher offered this explanation as proof of the existence of God. he said " unintelligent objects cannot be ordered unless they are done so by an intelligent being to move objects to their end."  God. God is the intelligent being, at least his intelligence is far greater than ours, and therefore has ordered our existence. The planets in their alignment, the cosmos, the seasons, even mans' ability to think and reason is directed by an intelligent being. I admit it is a plausible enough explanation. I can certainly offer no other. That is the stuff of philosophy. It has little to do with intelligence but everything to do with thought. The burden of proof is not in the existence of God but rather that God does not exist. Just how intelligent is man ? Consider this, we can not yet explain why we don't just fly off into space. There is a force we call gravity, but what is it ? Duh, we don't know but it exists. At least here on Earth it does, where it is required, a necessary thing. Coincidence ? Could be intelligence. Maybe it was ordered to be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment