Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Opinion

 It is something we have all learned over time. Say what people want to hear and your opinion is popular. It is an easy enough thing to do, if you don't care about about your opinion, or topic. The delicate part in the process is in knowing when to just keep your opinions to yourself. I admit it is a skill I have difficulty with. I am opinionated. Some view that as a bad thing. I prefer to think of it as a sign that I am thinking. I never was one much on just parroting other's thoughts or ideas. Is it because I have a controlling nature ? I don't see it, but I wouldn't rule it out either. That is a question for Dr. Phil. Of course, I have an opinion about him as well.
 There is little we can be certain about. All things can be viewed from at least three angles. Opinions are subject to change. It does take an agile mind to be willing to do that. It is only through exercising our mind that it remains so. There are times when you just have to put it out there and try it out. There are times when a retraction is required as well. Growth can only be achieved by cultivating the ground, in this case, our minds. Often the fertilizer for that growth is insecurity. When we present our opinion and others do not agree, insecurity may be the result. Some will react with anger and take a defensive position and others will just crumble and fall. But, I believe, for the majority of us, the rejection of our ideas forces us to think. We begin to question our own conclusions and reevaluate the facts.
 There are times when I have questioned whether the offering of my opinion was a wise decision. Conversely there are times when I feel I must do so. If we all just go along with whatever popular opinion comes along, unrestrained, that can only lead to problems. What is popular is not always what is best. That is because of man's nature. We do tend to take the road of least resistance. We can distort logic to the point of losing sight of reality. Reality can be harsh. The two major influences to altering opinion are simple ones, commerce and popularity. If there is money to be made there are those that will support just about anything. If the popular, or famous people if you will, propose certain opinions or views they will be adopted. I believe that happens when, for reasons I do not understand, people believe the rich and famous have some sort of superior knowledge. I disagree. They are no doubt skilled in their area, acting, singing or whatever but what does that have to do with intellect ?
 The big question in all of this is, does our opinion matter ? Does my opinion matter, in all cases, all the time ? It matters to me. That is the short answer. That is why I offer my opinion. There are times when it does not matter to me and I remain silent. Opinion is the usual basis for conversation. A statement of facts is nothing more than a lecture. Now, I have opinions that I view as fact. I am aware of that. I may offer actual facts in support of that opinion, but it remains an opinion. I am saddened and sometimes angered by those that fail to understand that distinction. Most " laws " are just popular opinion as to what is right or wrong. Are they facts ? No, because they are changed and altered over time and circumstance. Facts remain fact. When a majority of the population just go along with " popular " opinion and do not evaluate things for themselves, individual liberty is sacrificed. The wealthy and the popular run the show. If that matters to you, you should have an opinion. If not, just go along with whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment