Tuesday, April 7, 2015

He chose death

 On the news they are saying the trial is over for the Boston bomber guy. He is guilty, we knew that before the trial began, and all that remains is sentencing. His lawyers are trying to spare him the death sentence. The defense ? His brother told him to do it. I tried that excuse with my father and you know what I heard ? If he told you to jump off the roof would you have done that too ? I mean, really, this is the defense team. Yes, I suppose it is when the person is already guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. The only question is, life or death ? In my opinion he already made his choice, he willingly killed and maimed innocent people. What is good for the goose, is good for the gander !
 This opinion may seem contrary to my Christian belief. Thou shalt not kill. He killed and deserves to be punished for his deed. Should we leave his punishment to God ? It will be. God makes the final judgment, not man. Death is not the end. This man, in my opinion, forfeited his own life by the commision of that crime. He was fully aware of what he was doing and the consequences of those actions. He must be held to account. He must account to society and account to God. It is only through obeying the law that men can co-exist.
 I admit that it is somewhat of a moral dilemma. It is not a decision easily reached. Is the punishment revenge ? Revenge for the loss of life and the maiming of the innocents ? Some may view it in that way. Personally I seek no revenge, but the application of justice. There are consequences for our actions here on earth, and afterward. Man can only decide upon our mortality, not our immortality. It is true that the laws of man cannot replace moral behavior. This man knew that he had no right to kill another man. There is no law that needs to be written to point that out ! Now the law must decide whether he should live. He chose death. Should we do any less ?

No comments:

Post a Comment