Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Casual Observation ?

 For over four hours last evening I watched live coverage of rioting in the city of Baltimore. Very disturbing and disheartening to say the least. There were packs of young people running into stores and looting. There were other packs of young people forming lines and throwing whatever objects they could get their hands on at the police. Fires were started and property destroyed. It was not unexpected but still somewhat of a shock. This was all taking place less than a two hour drive from where I live. I have in laws that live much closer to that area. My wife's' nephew is a police officer and was placed on standby to go and assist.
 There is little I can express that hasn't been said already. I did note that during all of this there were spectators. Yes, that's correct, spectators. There were large groups of people behind the police line that were just casually observing the proceedings. I saw some with their cell phones taking pictures. There were a few with video cameras. I expected the news people to be there, that is their job, but spectators ? I do not understand how anyone could just idly watch as this unfolded. How could these people remain so apathetic ? They didn't interfere with the police or the rioters.
 In the end it took five hours before the mayor responded. The national guard has been deployed. A citywide curfew has been established and will remain in effect for at least a week. The situation has calmed down somewhat but is still tenuous. It is a really sad state of affairs. In the midst of all this a large group of Pastors assembled and began a march through the streets in an attempt to stop the chaos. At one point a group of pastors, or maybe just concerned citizens I cannot say for sure, where seen kneeling in prayer in the street. I do not know how much impact those actions had in preventing further violence but it was heart warming. I heard from several people a simple phrase, Baltimore needs prayer ! Indeed it does ,as does our entire nation.
 This will pass given time. I hope that no one else is injured and no more businesses destroyed. It is a tragic string of events that led up to this point. Healing will take time. I have no answers and no advice. More " marches " are planned and the Reverend Al Sharpton is coming to town. I fear for the safety of the city. It is going to be a long hot summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment