Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Opinion and Choice

 With the candidates announcing their intentions to run for president the political season has begun. It is a necessary process but one that can get annoying. The expenditure of so much money for a possible nomination boggles my mind. Literally millions of dollars, and then to not receive that nomination. What happens to the funds left over ? Where does all that money go ? I wonder if in today's' electronic age if this is really a necessity. Couldn't the candidates just post to Facebook or Tweet ? Hey, that way if you fail to win the nomination just delete that loss of your server ! Sorry, couldn't resist a political jab there. Seriously though, all this " stumping " around and spending of money to hopefully convince your party to nominate you. It can all be negated with a single, tweet,post or instagram ! Consider the esteemed Dr. Ben Carson. He was getting quite a bit of attention but has made, what I consider, a fatal slip. With one statement he ruined his chance of being a viable candidate. A real shame but reality.
 We have all heard the advice to never speak of religion or politics. That is because both are very personal things. Passions tend to run high. I think they are similar, religion and politics, in that both require a bit of faith. The decision is a personal one and not necessarily substantiated. Neither requires that proof either. It is difficult, if not impossible, to defend those choices. Both include fundamental choice. 
 Republicans and Democrats. The two major parties in America. Oh, if it were only that simple. Inside each party that are subsets. Liberals and conservatives. Not that simple either. Degrees of liberalism and conservatism. It has always been so throughout the political system in America. The Democrats were first called Republican Democrats ! Then the Federalists, there major opposition, started calling them Democrats. They wanted to show that these Republican Democrats favored " Democracy " which in their view is nothing more than mob rule. It was a term of derision ! But eventually the Democratic Republicans embraced the title and became just Democrats. The Federalists became Republicans, Lincoln was the first to call himself so. Both parties platforms has changed and evolved over the years. 
 I have determined to try, as far as possible, to just keep my opinions to myself. That is, unless I am asked. I can see no point in expressing my views as I can not see those views exerting any influence. I do not feel compelled to point out others shortcomings. I will make my choice at the polls ! I did enjoy this campaigning more when they gave out pot holders and pencils ! A stop into campaign headquarters could yield a kid quite a boatload of goodies. 
 It will be a trying time for me throughout this process. First the nominations and then the elections. It will not be easy for me to just keep silent. The urge to expound upon the " perceived " benefits of one candidate or party over the other is a strong one. I do worry about the future of this nation. I am concerned for the grandchildren. Back in the day Bob Dylan said, " the times they are a'changin' " and he got that right. It has always been so and it will continue. We all want better, and to give our children and grandchildren what we had. We wish to make it easier for them. Perhaps though we are relying too heavily upon government, and too little upon self reliance and independence. In that is where your political allegiance lies. A matter of opinion and personal choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment