Friday, December 12, 2014

Wreaths across America

This Saturday morning I will be participating in " Wreaths across America. " We will all meet at the Greensboro Cemetery @ 7:15 am. Saturday is also the Army/Navy football game and some have tickets for that, so an early start is necessary. At any rate I am pleased to be a participant.
In case you are not aware of this effort it is a program whose goal is to provide a wreath on every veterans grave in America ! A monumental task to be sure but one worthy of the effort. Funeral homes across the nation are the facilitators for this. It is a fairly new endeavor and this year is the first year for Geensboro. I checked with the cemetery where my father is interred but they are not participating. What a shame. I still could have contacted someone in the area and had a wreath sent there. But, I'm getting ahead of myself a bit.
There is a national organization that is the spearhead for this. There website is, Wreaths Across America. From there you can read all about the mission and order your wreaths. They will ship the wreaths to the appropriate funeral home for distribution. I would encourage you all to go to that website and read about it. Do your research and if you agree with the mission, join in. It is too late for this year but there is always the next. I believe it would make an excellent fundraiser too,but am not sure about the details in that regard. Something worth considering.
My daughter in law purchased her wreaths and is laying one on her Dad's grave. I purchased some as well and have selected Col. William Comegy, civil war veteran, to receive mine. I salute your service sir ! The object here is that no veteran goes without recognition at Christmas. There is an effort to place a wreath on every grave at Arlington National as well. That should be a spectacular sight.
They have special deals and offers as well. There is more than can be purchased. I took advantage of the deal to buy two and get a third free. The other two I received will be placed on veterans that I have known, unless their family members have already done so. In that case I will locate some veterans in need of a wreath and place them there. Knowing the person is not the important part of this exercise. It is not about that.
I am excited and proud to participate. A small ceremony will be held prior to lying the wreaths. Perhaps just a small prayer and the playing of Taps. We shall see how it goes. I'm hoping for an annual event that grows in size. I do think it is a wonderful idea.  

No comments:

Post a Comment