Friday, December 19, 2014

Going on Faith

Facing uncertainty. That is the future. We can not know what will be the end result. All we mortals can do is perservre and pray. There are times when we are faced with this stark reality. On most days we go forward without much thought and filled with expectations. Then ,something happens to shake your world. That is when we must rely on faith.
The manner in which we proceed during these periods of uncertainty form our character. It is a trial. I face just such a trial this very day. I have just learned that my oldest brother has passed away. Harold has gone to join the host of heaven. It is a relief for him, a release from pain and suffering, and a time of trial for we that love him. You often hear people say, I loved him or her when someone goes, but the truth is we never stop loving, so the past tense is incorrect. I love him still and will always do so. He is my brother.
All one can do is turn to their faith and take comfort. It is those remaining that require that, he is in the caring arms of Jesus. It is a difficult thing, this loss. I worry more about my Mother who now has to bury a son. Cindy, must bury her husband. His children and grandchildren struggling to understand. And of what comfort can I be ? Sadly, very little. My faith shall sustain me, I pray for them.
Of my brother I can only say he lived life on his terms. A robust fellow that had, what the kids today call, swag. He did many things in his lifetime and filled many roles. A larger than life sorta guy. Yes, he was that. When we were children he defended me fiercely. I am his little brother. He joined the Navy and served his country. Another Vietnam era veteran gone to rest. He is just a young man. Just sixty seven. Yet his time on earth is through. He has served his mission, whatever it was, and God has called him home. His visit on this earth complete.
I love him, always have, and always will. The relationship between brothers can be as complicated as any relationship. It can also be as simple as, He is my brother. He is always with me and in my thoughts. We shared the same path. We may have wandered down different road now and again, but brothers will do that. Rest in Peace brother.
I only just received this news. The full impact has yet to arrive. I must steel myself against vulnerability and be strong in my faith. Each day is filled with uncertainty. All we can do is, go on faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment