Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Fortune

It is just a little thing. A trinket really but irreplaceable. It is my great grandfathers tie-tac. I have it in a small brown velvet covered jewelry box. I believe it is the box it originally came in. There is no writing or markings anywhere on the box. No manufacturer markings of any kind are on the tie tac itself. It is all a mystery to me. The how and why of it all is unknown and lost to time. That it belonged to my great grandfather is without question. I know that beyond a doubt. I can remember him wearing it because of it's design. It is two gold wishbones. The design is also different to me. It is like a hatpin. It is just a straight pin that you poke through. Seems like you would damage the material and possibly yourself ! It is a small treasure.
I have given some thought on how to display this little item. At first I thought I might place it in a shadow box. Another idea was to display that tie tac on a vintage tie, one like " gramp " would have worn. I am still considering that possibility. I am one of those that believe these treasures should be on display somewhere. I mean what's the point in having them if you can't share them with others. Not that I get that much company but I do think it is that sort of thing that makes a home. Homes should be interesting places. Homes should reflect your hopes and dreams and pieces of the past as well. At least that is my feeling. Homes should feel old, houses are new or they are empty. Think about it, you don't go home shopping. Once you buy a house, you make it home. You can't buy the stuff to make a home. Home is where the heart is and where does your heart reside ? Not at the department store, that's for sure. I'm fortunate to have things to add that love in my home.
If you have ever watched " The Quiet Man " movie, the one with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara you will recognize this line. Maureen O'Hara is telling John Wayne how much she always dreamed of having her own home, and this is the important part, with all me things about me. That was her " fortune. " It is a sentiment that I understand completely. Now whether the Irish have or had such a tradition as " her fortune " I couldn't say. It was portrayed as a very important thing in their society and to her. As in all dramatic portrayals it was, by design, dramatic ! Still I can relate to exactly what she was talking about. In a way, the things that I have are also , me fortune. They are the things one can leave for future generations that will not leave them. Money can be spent and squandered away but objects can last forever if they are kept alive. By that I mean as long as their stories are being told. An attachment to the object must be established. That is part of my intent in displaying these things. Primarily it is for my own enjoyment, but the secondary purpose is a happy coincidence. It is my hope that these objects stay around.
I'll give it some more thought. Perhaps I will display it on a tie. I just don't know the best way to go about it. I have no idea the age of that tie tac but it can wait. A curiosity ? Not to me, although there are mysteries associated with it. When did he get it ? Was it a gift ? All I know is that he prized it very highly. A piece of his fortune. I have it now and that makes me fortunate. Funny how that works out.

Not the best picture but as good as it gets at 5:45 in the morning !

No comments:

Post a Comment