Thursday, December 25, 2014

A bugle and a bicycle

It's Christmas morning in Greensboro. The sugarplums are done dancing in my head and I am up and about. The coffee has been brewed, automatic drip because my percolator didn't arrive on time, the news is on and more waiting begins. Grandma and I have to wait for the grandchildren to get up and have their Christmas morning with mom and dad. We will arrive for wave two of gift giving. That is the way it has been going down for a number of years , the new normal. I admit I rather miss the excitement of those kids waking us up on Christmas morning. Well, the truth of it is, we were always awake long before they were, but I will not let fact spoil the story. Ah but for the days of yore. So much excitement and anticipation.
It is unusually warm here and a gentle rain is falling. It certainly doesn't have the feel of Christmas. I'm no big fan of cold and snow, but it does seem appropriate for at least a few hours on Christmas morning. The rain will put a damper on the outdoor activity. Morgan will be getting a bicycle and Mark a piece of soccer apparatus. They will want to use them. Well, there will plenty of other items to amuse them this day.
I believe this will the last year for a bicycle as a Christmas gift. The kids are getting too old for that. It is another marker in time that we are passing. Mark wanted a trumpet for Christmas but I got him a bugle instead. We will wait and see how he does with that. Should he stay interested a trumpet will be forthcoming. Gone are the days of buying a bunch of toy sets. I miss those days. When you could shop at the dollar store and buy tons of toys and the kids thought they got the whole sleigh load ! It was an overload of presents and the excitement in their faces was priceless. Now the price is unbelievable. It is another marker however,the kids are growing up and their expectations have adjusted proportionally. A measure of maturity.
Yes I think a bugle and a bicycle will mark the end of Santa Claus and that whole scenario. The kids have entered adolescence. Mark has a girlfriend now and Morgan  is becoming concerned with fashion. They are storing their childhood memories and building new. I hope that God sees fit to allow me to see great grandchildren. I would like to see that excitement of Santa and Christmas morning at least one more time. That is the nostalgia that is Christmas. Remember when you were that excited ?
Merry Christmas to all. Happy Birthday Jesus. It is exciting news and an exciting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment