Monday, December 15, 2014

Insight or whimsy ?

I was pleased to participate in the Wreaths across America effort. It was a brief affair here in Greensboro. I am hoping that the size and participation increases next year. It is an effort I believe in and strongly support. I chose Lt. Col Comegy, civil war veteran and two others. The others are completely unknown to me but I'm betting they appreciate the gesture.
Now in the Greensboro cemetery there is a large mausoleum. This is the resting place of Mr. Clinton B Jarman, his wife and two others. Mr. Jarman was a very affluent man. He had interest in everything in Greensboro. The bank and several businesses. I have been told that he insisted on the very best in everything. That mausoleum is the proof of that. It dominates the cemetery. Sitting in a central location all the other graves seem to surround it. I imagine Mr. Jarman wanted it that way.
There are tall double doors in the face. They are locked, of course. When the last time anyone has entered that chamber is a mystery. The key has been lost to time. There are no descendants of this man in the area, It is that knowledge that always causes me to think. I can not but feel sad for this man and his family. To erect such an edifice as a lasting tribute to his successes in life, only to be alone in death. It is a beautiful home, but of what value if no one comes to visit ? That is my thought.
I do not know if Mr. Jarman was a veteran. I do know no wreath was placed there. I do go to the cemetery rather frequently and have never seen anything left for him. I wonder why I am drawn to this. Is it because of the mausoleum ? Is that the draw ? Perhaps that was the intent. Did Mr. Jarman seek the attention of all but not allow them too close ? Sort of like a celebrity ? I imagine with his affluence he got his share of requests for aid. I can also see others in town that may begrudge him his successes. It is often the way with men of wealth and power.
There is much in Greensboro that can be credited to Mr. Jarman. He brought the first telephone to town. In 1898 it was installed in his hardware store. That he was heavily involved in civic affairs is obvious to even the most casual of historians in Greensboro. What would Mr. Jarman have to say about Greensboro today ? In his time Greensboro was a thriving community with much hope for the future. Growth was expected. Greensboro is a wonderful little town in which to live, but has never reached the heights imagined by Mr. Jarman and his contemporaries. In his day there were factories and industry in town.
Maybe it is just because of the season and the wreath laying. I have a feeling that Mr. Jarman celebrated Christmas with as much gusto as he did in his business life. That he was a lifelong member of the Methodist church I know. I believe he was a pious man. Such was the role of any respectable business man in his day. That was a time when people were very aware of their roles in society. An observance of the proprieties was essential to success. And now to lie inside his beautiful home with just his wife and two others, doors locked and no celebration. I feel drawn to do something for him and his family. Not a wreath, but perhaps a small Christmas bouquet, simple yet elegant. I think he would enjoy that and his family too. I was asked if I thought we knew when we were visited at the cemetery. I answered, yes ! If you believe in life after death there can be no other answer. He will know and that is all that matters. The only problem I have is, I am equally drawn to others that have no visitors. What to do ? Mr. Jarman got my attention. It could be that was his intent, to draw attention. It could also be his intent was to draw attention to those that are less fortunate. Every life is worthy of remembrance. Whether you lived in a mansion or a shack makes no difference. I think in the case of Mr. Jarman he is locked inside his home. I can knock on the door, but never enter. So in a way I feel like it is not a visit. Then again maybe I need only wait. After I am gone maybe the door will be answered and I will be invited in. I just need an introduction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment