Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Just another day

Yesterday I wrote about " taking down Christmas. " I mentioned how that has been happening for me on New Years day, the last few years. Well, I went off to work and to my surprise when I got home, Christmas was gone ! My wife, assisted by my granddaughter, had packed it all away. All but the christmas cards that is, which are still taped in the doorway, the last vestiges of the holiday. I still haven't decided their fate, trash or attic ? I'll decide that on new years day.
Now with the removal of Christmas and the gift of a new flat screen television, the living room needed rearranging. That has been accomplished and I'm liking the new setting. A change is good at times and seems fitting to begin a new year. If fedex is to believed my new television stand will arrive tomorrow. Starting the year out fresh ! I even finished up the trim in my bath so that project is complete. I'm on a roll.
My wife's sister is coming for a visit and should arrive today. Joan plans on staying through Sunday. We will bring in the new year together. I'm looking forward to it. The big " party " days are long behind all of us folks but we can share memories of those days gone by. Isn't it strange how you enjoyed those party's. then quit that nonsense but still enjoy the memory ? Shoot I've even been known to brag about my party prowess ! Was a day when you measured a persons' mettle by the amount of drink they could consume. Ah, the foolishness of youth ! Now it will be measured by who is still awake. If you think about it, sorta the same thing. The big difference being, I'll remember it.
Having a visitor, even a family member, can be upsetting. My routine will be changed. I'll adjust however. I'm not sure about my blog writing. I will have to try to write in the afternoon or early evening. By then my brain begins to get clogged up. I mean, by then others will have infected it ! In the early morning I feel like my mind is fairly clear but I'll let you be the judge. I'll look at it as an experiment.
There are those that plan big vacations or exciting adventures. Some make great plans for the new year and set goals. This year I'm hoping for new furniture. Funny thing for me to want and one I never thought I would, but there it is. I want two loveseats and a matching chair, preferably in leather. Leather is durable and doesn't soil easily. OMG is this what getting old is all about ? Nah, I'll call it wisdom. Or maybe this is the year to get in touch with my " nesting " side. I am considering new curtains after all. Well, who knows what the new year will bring.
Yesterday,after a long journey, a gift arrived at my door. It is a handmade ornament, a sheep. It is complete with collar and bell and a tag that says, " The Lord is my Shepherd. " How true and how appropriate. That little sheep was mailed from South Carolina and arrived in Greensboro, Md. It was addressed to my post office box. Unfortunately I no longer have that post office box and my mail is delivered to a box in front of my house. Now I understand that mailbox is almost a full block away from the post office, and I have only lived here twenty some years, so returning it to South Carolina only makes sense. Guess the lady at the post office doesn't know me well enough yet, I'll give it a few more years. So, the sheep went back to South Carolina and was subsequently mailed back. Success and that sheep has a new home. Maybe it was fate that had it arrived when it did. Christmas having been packed away, early if you recall, it is sitting on a shelf now. It will remain there. on display the whole year. Fate has perhaps saved it from exile into the attic. Also,given the fact that I just lost my brother, the Bible verse The Lord is my Shepard is particularly appropriate at this time. And some people think things just happen randomly. I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment