Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A Norman Rockwell memory

It would have been just about now. Mom would be asking for the running pine and princess pine for her Christmas decorations. That was an annual event, the gathering of the greens. It is something I will remember my entire life and not a Christmas goes by that I don't think about it. We kids had a special spot to go. The signs are long gone now, but at one time they were posted. Game sanctuary, no trespassing ! Violators will be prosecuted. Ha, didn't apply to us woodsmen though. We were masters of those woods and would move about through them freely. We had it like that ! Or at least so we believed. Northwest woods was still rather sparsely populated. There was plenty of " open " space as they call it nowadays. It was in northwest that we gathered some other necessities of the season, like white birch for a yule log, or white pine for wreath making. Mistletoe could be had too, if you were brave enough to climb the tree. Deep in northwest woods was the remnants of an old orchard. Apple trees could be found there and it was in those apple trees that mistletoe could be found. Those trees weren't very large but climbing them was a bit tricky,especially so in cold weather. Harder to get a grip with gloves on. But it was that running pine and princess pine that were the real treasures of the season. Running pine could be wrapped around the bannister of the staircase. It was great for covering the mantle as well. And princess pine, those delicate little plants were just spectacular, especially if the tops were still there. The deer loved those little brown shoots that came out of the top and would eat them . They seldom touched the pine, just the shoot. Delicate eaters those deer and I have seen them do it. If you lie still enough and just wait you can watch. Princess pine grows close to water, another attraction to the wildlife, and so good grazing ground.
It has been forty four years since my last Christmas harvest. That would have been the Christmas of '70. I joined the Navy the next year and left in August of '71. Sure I went home and visited but never roamed those woods again. The memory of that was still fresh and commonplace in the years directly following. It is often that way. We don't really begin to appreciate or miss those things until we can no longer do them. We tend to think, we can do that anytime. But time marches on and things change. Northwest woods is heavily populated now. I'm betting those old apple trees are long gone. No longer could I drag my ax behind me and chop away at a white pine ! Perhaps a few white birch remain, they were always treated with respect because of their few numbers. I would just remove a limb or perhaps find some already on the ground.
Yes they were the traditions I grew up with. It wasn't Christmas until the greens were gathered. The tree, always a real one, standing by the staircase. Yes, we had holly too. The princess pine and running pine were the stars however. The location of those items is still safe from development. It is protected and shall remain forever so. That is a comforting thought. I like to think those pines still flourish there. I can think of no reason they would not. Perhaps one day I will go have a look. Perhaps it will be in December. It is a nice thought. I do think it is one of those things we like to think and dream about. It is also something best left undone. Memories are sometimes sweeter when left in the past. Something to just carry with us and use when the mood strikes us. A comfort. Those memories will forever be linked to Christmas and my childhood, my Norman Rockwell memory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment