Saturday, December 20, 2014

With a purpose

I spent most of yesterday in quiet contemplation. The loss of my brother occupying my thoughts. After writing yesterday's posting I reviewed it in my mind . One statement I made seemed to hang with me, that old familiar, Rest In Peace. It is that prospect that lingers in my mind. I do not believe that our lives end with death. Death only affects our physical state and not our souls. The souls journey continues on. I think that those that love the departed become the host for their souls. We carry a portion of them with us on our journey. Our journey now is into the future. And to travel forward in time does not require the hindrance of a body. So should we be saying rest in peace ? No, I think it is only " peace " that we seek in our own life. It is a comfort for us to think of death in that way, as a restful sleep. Sleep however is followed by reawakening. I do not think we go to sleep at all. We go forward with the purpose our God has designated for us. That we should be constrained to one ,or even two planes, seems a bit shortsighted. My brother is needed elsewhere, according to the plan. His purpose here has been fulfilled.
And so I shall think of him in that way. As being elsewhere, being who he is and doing what he does. A portion of him resides within me and that cannot be taken. It is my share and I was given a full measure. I should be thankful for that and not mourn the loss. To have had such a brother is a blessing. Ours was a relationship of acceptance. He accepted me as his brother and I he. Through all else; that remained. Words went unspoken, but not unheard. His outward countenance in contrast to his inner feelings. A gruff response or a cavalier attitude conveying the meaning. A brother understands these nuances like no other.
Often we think we have had our last interaction with a person after their death. I don't believe this to be so. A portion of him is with me always and so why shouldn't we interact ? It is only natural don't you think ? His influence will always be felt. I will always speak of him with pride. In doing so am I not interacting with him ? It is not mystical or ghostly stories but part of the natural order of things. My father left this earth twenty four years ago but I am still aware of his presence. Why should it not be so with my brother ? One day I will join him on his journey, if that is what is willed. I can no more know where I shall go in the future than know where it is my brother was sent. I am not privy to that information. I can only know what is and what was. It is enough. Go forth my brother, you have been called.   

No comments:

Post a Comment