Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Quality Time

As many of you reading this posting already know I love my perked coffee in the morning. The mixture of taste,aroma and nostalgia is indeed a pleasant sensory experience. It is more work and requires patience as well, but worth the effort. And isn't that the way it is with a lot of things ? More work,more effort and patience required, but the results are worth the effort. With all our modern conveniences and products readily available and ready made, are we missing out ? I think we may be. We are missing out on the appreciation of the finer points. Finer goods does not equal a finer life. It is the little things that count.
We all have heard how fast life is these days. There is truth to that. Years back life was a bit more relaxed. Well maybe not relaxed, but we were in more control I believe. We did not rush. Quality takes time is one of my favorite expressions. Time and attention to the details ( those little things ) is what creates quality products and a new phrase we hear often, "quality time." Now isn't that a telling statement ?
"Quality time" (QT) is an informal reference to time spent with close family, partners or friends that is in some way important, special, productive or profitable.
So then what is the other time in the day ? The rest is poor quality or shoddy ? Wasted time ? We certainly don't have time to waste. It would seem that we are mistaking quantity for quality. The mark of the modern man. Do more,do it faster, and do it more often. Shouldn't all our time be quality time ? I think we should strive for that. If everyone did that what a change it would be. People would start caring more for each other, wanting that time to be productive. Instead of just trying to get through the day we would enjoy the day. What a concept. A concept we sacrificed in the name of productivity. Faster,faster we must go faster. Even when it comes to our pleasures we want it faster,sooner and without delay. Instant coffee ? A perfect example.
I admit to disliking that phrase, quality time. There is just something about it that grates. It sounds fabricated to me. I do not think you can measure the value of time. Time is a gift. I can not make my time more or less valuable or improve the quality of time. What I can do is work on increasing the value of my interactions with others. Giving others more time and attention,paying attention to their needs as much as my own. Now that will create quality. Takes time and patience though. You have to work at it. You can't rush in. Just like that perked coffee. The pot may be done perking but you need to let it steep for a bit. Allow the coffee to drain completely through the grind. Only then will you reap the true flavor. Works the same way with most everything if you think about it. There is nothing quite as satisfying as good results. 
I guess it all depends upon what measure you choose to use. I am happier with a few quality items rather than a houseful of junk. I am happier with a few close friends rather than a gaggle of would be,sometimes,when it suits me, acquaintances. Quality not quantity. We hear it all the time but how often do we think about it ? All our time is quality time and should be used as such. The quantity of time we have is limited but not the quality. That may be the lesson we have forgotten. Or is it a lesson we fail to teach anymore ? Those " old fashioned " values ?  

No comments:

Post a Comment