Sunday, August 3, 2014

Passing the Flag

Today I thought I would share a little anecdote. Growing up in the fifties and sixties in a small town one just naturally has a bunch of these. We all knew our neighbors and those that lived in our town. We got to know about them, their lives, their families and their habits. There was a man named Nate Collum who lived down to Soak Hide Rd. His son Barry was born the same day I was. I lived over to Springy Banks Rd just a short walk away. We all just naturally knew each other. Fact is, Mom's sister Betty lived right next door to Nate and Helen.
Now Nate was a cautious driver. He was known for taking his time and being very careful. He had learned to drive back in the day. I can't say I know what car he learned to drive in, but it is safe to say it was in the twenties. Back then the steering geometry hadn't been quite as refined as it is now. Because of that you had to swing out to your right before making a left turn. Failure to do that would cause the wheels to chatter. This practice was used by Nate his life long. Even when he had the new cars he would swing out to the right before turning. You could tell who was driving if you were behind him.
Now Nate was a kind and gentle man. I knew him fairly well and never knew him to raise his voice. One day while heading upstreet he noticed a lady walking. Her name escapes me at the moment. At any rate Nate offered her a ride. She accepted, as it was three miles to town where she had to work. She was working for one of the rich families that had a cottage by the ocean. To get there you had to pass by the town flag pole. That flag pole still stands in that very spot even today. It is a grand flag pole , one with those yardarms on it. Anyway, a few days later my Mom was talking to this lady. As is customary in small towns everyone knows everyone's business. Mom asked that lady about that ride that Nate had given her. This lady just smiles and says, it was just fine. Mom mentioned how Nate was a careful driver. This lady then says, yes maam, I'd say so too, I said the Pledge of Allegiance three times as we passed the flagpole !
That story was told and retold in my house the whole time I was growing up. It is still mentioned occasionally. These little anecdotes are some of the glue that holds our past together. I will never forget that story or Nate Collum. Good times and very good people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment