Monday, August 18, 2014

Considering the choices

Immediate desires and questionable decisions. We are all subject to them. Whether it is in fashion,relationships or permanent choices. There is no place that highlights this anymore than a stroll through a Walmart store. Just take a look around at your fellow shoppers. The scary part about it is that I am part of the crowd ! I'm not immune to this social phenomena. And that is what I would have to label it. It would seem a measured response is no longer required. In this progressive new world, a world without restraint, you just go for it. That is even an advertising campaign ! Nike has been saying that for years now. I think the message is being misunderstood.
Now in fashion I can see the desire to wear the latest style. After all, I don't want to be uncool or a nerd. Especially when we are younger and trying to attract the opposite sex, well  maybe even the same sex, another discussion there. The thing is, fashion is not permanent. No harm, no foul. Relationships are another matter. They involve at least one other person. Those decision need to be considered a bit more. They can have permanent results. Children without parents is always a concern. There are those that wish to solve that issue by murder, but then again, another topic altogether.
A " fashion " statement I see more and more of  is getting tattooed.  Getting Inked in the modern vernacular. It has become a more accepted form of self expression. It is generally accepted in society. It is also quite a permanent decision. Yes, they can be removed, at great cost. I have mentioned this in the past. It appears the trend is still growing and the " inking " becoming more questionable. No longer are they limited to certain areas of the body, they have spread. I will say this, I have no objections to tattoos. I have a few very small ones. What I question is the decision making process involved with some of this modern ink . Neck tats look pretty cool when you are twenty, not so much when you are sixty. Let's just say the canvas doesn't remain stretched over the years. I also question having certain sayings, words of wisdom, written on your body. I have found, in my experience, that what I found profound at twenty one isn't always so at thirty. Know what I mean ?
I do think this is a reflection of society. We tend to want things now. Patience is no longer a virtue, it would seem. Now I demand immediate results,immediate action. Do not consider the long term effects. If you want it, get it. We do that with everything nowadays. Consider the consumerism of today. Buy it, use it, discard it ! That is how we do it. You may be able to do that with material things but other decisions you have to live with, forever. It is those decisions that I am thinking about. No, not just tattoos, they are just visible examples. We are all entitled to our choices. As long as those choices do no harm to others I agree you should just, " go for it. " What I am saying is perhaps a bit more thought should be exercised in making these choices. If you spend more time defending your choices than benefiting from them, maybe those choices should be questioned. Just an observation on my part. My point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment