Sunday, August 24, 2014

Making decisions

Abraham Lincoln famously said, " folks are usually about as happy as they make up their minds to be, " It is hard to argue with that logic. Old Abe probably didn't make that thought up, just put it in a way that made sense to the common man. I think that is what the appeal of Lincoln truly was. He had a way of saying things so you could understand his thoughts. He spoke with you, not to you.The best speakers and authors tell you what you already know,especially when you don't know it. That is why we like them so much, it is like listening to ourselves. Normally you won't get much of an argument from yourself.
It is true that happiness has to be a decision. There are so many reasons we can find to be displeased,angry,upset,disgruntled and just plain cranky. The fact of the matter is we don't need to find these reasons, they find us. We often hear people say they are searching for happiness.Happiness is always within our grasp. We just have to decide to be happy. As with anything else, with practice it becomes easier. Without being aware of it, it can develop into habit. Not all habits are bad.
Lincoln said you just have to make up your mind. Make the decision to be happy and you will be. Seems obvious enough when you say it that way. It is not as difficult as one would imagine. There is another saying, misery loves company, that is equally as true. I don't know who is credited with saying that, but I think they had the same insight. To me, understanding that opens the door to happiness. I can decide with whom I wish to associate. I have observed that happiness requires a bit more effort to maintain and offer no explanation for that. Just a mystery in life.
Dolly Parton wrote these words, " you are poor only if you choose to be " in her song a coat of many colors. That is expressing the same thought. It is a decision on our part. If we allow others to tell us how we should feel that is how we will feel. We need to decide for ourselves. Happiness is a decision, so is wealth it all depends upon what you decide. Acceptance is a decision based on belief. When we accept something we have decided that it is correct. Holds true for everything, even the existence of God. Acceptance can not be imposed, only compliance. They are different things altogether. When we "make up our minds" what is it that we are doing ? We are deciding how to form our thoughts. Our thoughts then control our actions. Simple enough, right ? Well it does take practice. A while back I decided that I wanted to die healthy. I mean it is going to happen some day, that is inevitable, might as well be healthy when I do. I would also add I want to die happy. That is a decision. Yup, that is what I will do. I've made up my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment