Monday, August 4, 2014

Intimate expressions

I have started writing some of my blog postings in a book. When I say writing, I mean writing them in cursive into a book with blank pages. I have talked about doing this for some time and have finally begun the process. My cursive skills are sorely lacking. It has been many years since I tried using them. In doing so I am reminded why I began to print ( with pen and paper ) when I wished to communicate in that fashion. I think it will be a challenge for others to read. I'm am hopeful that my skill will improve over time and become more easily read. Penmanship is an art.
As I have written in the past I feel having something written in someones own hand is far more personal than a printed page. I have a few examples from my grandparents and great grandparents. Whenever I hold those pieces I can feel their presence. It may sound strange but I assure you it is true. I think I know the reason for this. I think it is because it takes so long to write something ! A blog posting that I can type in fifteen minutes and when typed barely occupies a page tales almost an hour and three pages. I start getting cramps ! I'll tell you one thing, it will make you want to keep it brief. Maybe that is why " short stories " were invented in the first place.
I will say I am pleased that I have at least begun. I can see that this project is going to take much longer and require more effort than I had originally thought. I wanted to do this at least three times, one for each grandchild, but I don't know about that now. We'll see. We all know that cursive handwriting is getting to be a thing of the past. My grandchildren already say, I can't read cursive. Cursive, I explain to them, is not a foreign language. I do wonder if in the future one will have to hire an expert to read it. In my case you may need to get a detective to decipher the code. Calligraphy is a fine hobby and I had considered that. I quickly dismissed that idea as soon as I saw my cursive handwriting ! I had best work on that skill first and foremost.
I have found that the time required to write, with pen and paper, does cause you to think. The words are more considered. I find myself wanting to change my phrasing and choice of words when copying my postings. I have yet to decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I do think spontaneous remarks are more truthful in some ways. On the other hand, words more carefully considered may prove beneficial in the long run. I do remember writing those letters home when I first joined the Navy. The time I spent writing them was time I was there. It was like being there to write about what I was doing now, like having a conversation. Instant messaging and posting on my Facebook " wall " does not hold that same intimacy. I think that is what is missing in a lot of our communications today. Somehow putting pen to paper is a far more intimate way to express ourselves. It is certainly more permanent. Cave man knew that and we still look at their writings. I wonder too if I wrote letters, in cursive to old friends and relatives, if they would even spend the time and energy necessary to read them. It takes effort. Everything has to be as fast as possible these days. Well, I'll keep writing in those books. Perhaps they will someday be taken to school and displayed for show and tell. A curiosity, like hieroglyphics. It takes a scholar to decipher them. I'm  positive that it will all be worth the effort. These things just take time to appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment