Saturday, August 9, 2014

Edited

From Wikipedia : Editing, the process of correcting or revising text,images or sound.
                                        to prepare for publishing.

This word has negative connotations to me. I guess it has something to do with being corrected. I hate being corrected, even when I correct myself. I understand the necessity for checking the spelling and possibly the grammar but anything beyond that irks me. Now, I'm not saying I am never wrong about things, that would just be nonsense, but the thought of someone else " editing " my work, why the nerve of that person. I said what I said and I'd probably say it again ! I did say probably, not definitely, circumstances can change. Sometimes a rethinking is prudent, not an edit, a rethinking. Oh, it is a different thing believe me.
I have thought of submitting some of my writings, I wouldn't call them works, for publication. I think it would be very cool to have something published. I looked into it once briefly and gained some insight into how that works. You submit it and someone reads it. If they think it worthy they will contact you and assign an " editor " to work with you. That is where the wheels begin to fall off for me. My back gets up a little when I think about that. You can correct my spelling, although spell check does a fine job at that, and maybe even suggest a few things, but edit, I don't think so. I don't want anyone correcting or revising my thoughts. I'll do that on my own if you don't mind.
I do wonder what qualifies you to be an editor. What power has granted you authority over my words ? Is it because you went to college or some journalism school ? Can you learn to recognize talent ? If you can, then why do you want to revise it ? What kind of ego maniac would you have to be ? I can't imagine editing Stephen King or J. K. Rowling  but they both have editors. Hey Rowling, how about revising that Harry Potter character just a bit. You know Steve, this tale about a dome, not sure I like it. Impertinence is the only word that comes to mind. I'm not any where near that caliber of writer but that is how I would feel. These are my words and mine alone.
I believe I would only be happy if my words were published as I wrote them. I would want the publisher to acknowledge that. Sure the publisher could send the manuscript back to me for editing until they were satisfied, but I am the only one making changes. I wouldn't be satisfied to just pay someone else to publish it either. If I am not being paid for the right to use my words, what's the point ? It would like paying an art gallery to show your paintings. For me I think it is all or nothing. Edited, I don't think so. You have to take the unedited version or nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment