Monday, August 25, 2014

Actions to thoughts

One of the more difficult tasks we have in life is to do what is right. To do right repeatedly, without acknowledgement, is even harder. The act of doing what we know to be right should be enough to satisfy us but it seldom does, we want credit. I believe this is a universal trait of the human race. We always want something in return. Our actions are guided by this principle of reciprocity. Is this a shortcoming ? In some circumstances it certainly could be and in others a benefit. Why, even the golden rule says do unto others as you would have others do unto you. An exchange has taken place. We do seek acknowledgement of that exchange.
I have done things for others without their knowledge. Little things that may have made a difference. I have done things for strangers,friends and family. I admit to thinking about these small acts and wishing for credit. In times of anger I have been tempted to tell the other person what I have done. There are times when I feel guilt for having these thoughts. Does not the Bible and my faith tell me to help others, unselfishly. Isn't it selfish to want that credit ? Does it make a difference if you do what is right and it goes unknown to others ? Showing pity and compassion is the hallmark of the pious. If we seek credit and accolades for those actions are we truly pious ? That is the question I struggle with. If I do things, no matter how compassionate and caring, with the intent to gain something for myself, does it count ?
Doing right for the sake of right. A noble sentiment. The Bible speaks of this. Jesus warns us of the trials and tribulations facing the Christian. We are told to remain strong in the faith,in the hope and the promise. We are told we will receive credit for it. Eternal life is the prize. We are told that only God need know of our righteousness. I believe that to be true, for it is his judgement alone that we must answer to. Then why do we seek this acknowledgement, from mere mortals, on earth ? I would say it is for reassurance. Insecurity and doubt are human failings. So does it follow that each time I feel this way it is a sign of doubt ? Perhaps only a doubt in my own self worth. But why should that be when I know all that I have done ? That is the enigma. The answer lies in the cost. How much is the cost of eternal salvation ? If we knew that answer we could just save up for it. That has been addressed by, if I may paraphrase, lay not up for yourself stores on earth but in heaven. We do not know the cost. Should we be counting ? The answer would have to be no. Doing what is right, in our hearts, is all we need be concerned with.
It is a difficult thing. This desire for others to know and acknowledge our good deeds. I do not like the feeling but it is there. This is a different feeling from feeling used. We all have experienced that I am sure. No, this is my personal choice to do whatever. Then, having done it, feeling compelled to tell of the deed. Wanting credit for my own choice ? That is what I am talking about here. Sometimes actions lead to thought. If you think about it, that makes perfect sense. We have been doing that since birth. And we always want the credit for making the right choices. It is just being human. 

No comments:

Post a Comment