Thursday, April 4, 2013

Time to grow

As I was watching the news this morning I heard of a terrible thing. Two boys, fifth graders, had planned to kidnap, rape and then kill another fifth grade girl. I was taken aback. How old were they ? Eleven or twelve ?  How could this be ? To be planning such a crime at that age ? Where in the world did they get such ideas ? From television, video games, the internet or another source ? They had a gun and other weapons with them when they were caught. Thank God they were.
I can only say times sure have changed. I can't say I really remember everything from the fifth grade but I don't think I was thinking about rape. Probably wasn't sure what that even was. I'm thinking in fifth grade the girls still had cooties ! Trading baseball cards, riding bicycles and just playing in the woods occupied most of  my time.
When I was in the fifth grade I watched shows like the Rifleman and The Big Valley. Everyone in those shows carried guns and respected women ! Neither was abused. Misuse of either was a crime against society and yourself. That lesson was taught. And then it was taught again. We didn't bring our guns to town.
Just how we have arrived at this point is lost on me. Could it be that we are rushing our children along into adulthood ? Could it be that we are not allowing children to be children ? In our rush to " educate and inform " could it be that we are missing something ?
Watch some television that a typical 12 year old is exposed to today. Really watch. Lots of sex and violence set in real situations. Compare to what used to be. The road runner and wiley coyote. Now they say that is too violent. He got his stuff from the " ACME " company, the kids today use the internet. Listen to the songs a typical twelve year old listens to today. I'm starting to see a trend here. And what is worse, listen to twenty something parents talking today. Listen to what they say in front of their children. Listen to the language they use.
Back in my day we may not have been cool. We weren't hip to the scene. I don't know what the kids call that today, but we didn't shoot each other. We didn't plan attacks on each other. In the fifth grade we were fifth graders ! Knowledge does not always mean maturity. We may be educating our children but are we allowing them to grow ? Immature fruit is spoiled and bad. So are immature children. A little more effort toward nurturing the child is what is needed. And nurturing is not just allowing them to do as they please. Sometimes you have to say no and tell them they are wrong. Just as you would prune a tree, prune the bad behavior of your children. As Barney Fife would say, Nip It, just nip.
I will say this,as every generation before me has said as well, kids these days just have no respect. Respect can not be taught. Respect is earned. Respect can not be obtained by force. Respect can not be demanded. Respect comes from example. Are you setting the example ? You must live the example, not just talk about it. These children need examples. Laugh with the children and they will learn. We all learn more through laughter than we do tears. Tears just bring bitterness and sorrow. Teach the children to laugh at themselves and they won't be laughing at others. That is a good beginning to understanding. Give them time to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment